MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Using The Mods Site As-Is
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We all want the new mods site, but until then developers still need to get things validated in a timely fashion.

I am not a member of staff nor am I attempting to speak for the entire forum, these are just some tips I have from my small amount of exposure to the process:
  • Speak up. No disrespect to anyone but any developer here knows that simply updating a plugin and waiting for it to be validated probably won't work.

On the occasion that I update a plugin and the next day (or week) it gets approved I am very excited-- that usually doesn't happen. Normally if you say nothing then the plugin will not be validated for a very long time (if at all).

So say something. Create a thread in Private Inquiries and ask (politely) if someone can take a look. I have a very good experience with the staff and have always been treated very warmly.

• Don't update the plugin for every change.

Use GitHub to release your plugin simultaneously with MyBB mods site. Then when/if a bug crops up, you can fix it and have it available immediately. Usually the copy at the mods site still won't be validated so go ahead and update it- nothing lost.

Lets say you are planning on some big changes. Go ahead then and attempt to get a good stable version of your plugin validated so the version on the mods site isn't causing you a lot of support threads.

Then create a 'feature' or 'beta' branch on GitHub to begin your big changes. Meanwhile you will have a stable version on MyBB and will still be able to handle any bugs that arise in the main branch at GitHub (and when you feel you are good again you can update at MyBB)

• Be polite and don't rush I have no idea if this is good advice or not but I try to give the staff an idea of what I am up to.

For example I might say, 'About to make some big changes, can someone have a look at MentionMe? I think I have the problems worked out now.'

The idea is to let them know you aren't there to abuse or rush them, but simply asking for their assistance

Read the forum rules about when to post in Private Inquiries. Like I said I am not staff.

All in all I'd say just don't depend upon the mods site alone. I am a huge fan of MyBB but I am also a fan of telling the truth and until the mods site renovation is complete it won't be a complete solution for MyBB developers.

jmo
I just stopped using the mods sites and in fact made all my mods invisible yesterday. Its too hard to deal with, especially when I have my own site to support and release them on.
I think the best advice is not to summit each single update to your plugin, only big and official updates.
^that
Yeah I agree.
But with "When its ready" appoaching, the new site will be launched, not many of these situations will be around.
The new site will be better than the current one. No offence to Alan Crisp, but this one made by Pirata will be much better.
Screen shots make it look like gold Toungue
I don't know if this is normal, but I have a plugin awaiting validation since November...
I made a private inquiry on January, and bumped it again 15 days later on February.
We are now on April and it is still awaiting validation, without any answer or message from the staff.

Not the best experience for my first submission...
COuld you bump the thread again so I can see it please?