MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it bad to edit templates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Thats because they are all old school. Just because mybb uses tables doesn't mean its right. Even mybb know that tables are old school. Not sure if you know or not, but mybb are developing a full css layout for 2.0. You're just in denial, improve your talents and step up to the mark and move into the real world of web developing.

All big sites use tables, but I can assure you that not their primary structure.
(2013-03-20, 11:26 PM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]Thats because they are all old school. Just because mybb uses tables doesn't mean its right. Even mybb know that tables are old school. Not sure if you know or not, but mybb are developing a full css layout for 2.0

NEWSFLASH: MyBB 2.0 hasn't even been developed yet and it's years away. Nice try.

TIL facebook and twitter are old school

Also, please note that not everyone uses tables because we love using them. But converting an entire software to not use tables is not an easy task and if you expect me to do it for every skin I made without making them >$45 each then you are out of your mind.

Every skin at Audentio also uses tables. But, I'm the only designer that still uses them?
(2013-03-20, 11:18 PM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]It is based on user input, how many times do I need to point this out lol. And theres tons of javascript too, its not just html

based on the OP posts, there is no mention of accepting user input, he only states that he is trying to put a lot of data into a table in template. for all we know, it could be a list of every IP that ever visited his site or a list of every CD ever made.

if he is reading data from the database and inserting that data into the output table, then he is doing the template thing wrong. he needs to do what I stated before and have build the table contents on the fly and insert that into the table/page wrapper template, the same way every other dynamic page works in mybb
(2013-03-20, 11:30 PM)Jason L. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-20, 11:26 PM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]Thats because they are all old school. Just because mybb uses tables doesn't mean its right. Even mybb know that tables are old school. Not sure if you know or not, but mybb are developing a full css layout for 2.0

NEWSFLASH: MyBB 2.0 hasn't even been developed yet and it's years away. Nice try.

TIL facebook and twitter are old school

Also, please note that not everyone uses tables because we love using them. But converting an entire software to not use tables is not an easy task and if you expect me to do it for every skin I made without making them >$45 each then you are out of your mind.

Every skin at Audentio also uses tables. But, I'm the only designer that still uses them?

hahahhaaahaaa

Mybb is a free software and it not developed as quickly and I can tell you one thing they are far from "up with the times" my dear old son, in terms of design and layout, they'll probably be the first to admit it themselves.

And yes that's exactly why you use tables, because they are "easy" and make you a quick buck. A "developer" develops whatever they create. Your just stuck in a time warp m8. And to be honest your not a developer, you create skins for mybb based off of their structure. Thats not developing, that's editing. With respect your an editior, not a developer.

(2013-03-20, 11:36 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-20, 11:18 PM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]It is based on user input, how many times do I need to point this out lol. And theres tons of javascript too, its not just html

based on the OP posts, there is no mention of accepting user input, he only states that he is trying to put a lot of data into a table in template. for all we know, it could be a list of every IP that ever visited his site or a list of every CD ever made.

if he is reading data from the database and inserting that data into the output table, then he is doing the template thing wrong. he needs to do what I stated before and have build the table contents on the fly and insert that into the table/page wrapper template, the same way every other dynamic page works in mybb

I seen his code, it has user input and javscript and sh*t loads of it too, I was scrolling for days lol
Quote:I seen his code, it has user input and javscript and sh*t loads of it too, I was scrolling for days lol

There is a difference bettwen $mybb->input[] (that stores the content in db) and <input> tag that is used (IN THIS CASE) to input search criteria that are handled / filtered / displayed via javascript.
it sounds like the OP is going about it all wrong. he should provide a simple layout diagram of what the page is suppose to look like (header, footer, existing data displayed, new user input, etc) and then describe the work flow of the page.

there is no need for a template that big
(2013-03-21, 12:24 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]it sounds like the OP is going about it all wrong. he should provide a simple layout diagram of what the page is suppose to look like (header, footer, existing data displayed, new user input, etc) and then describe the work flow of the page.

there is no need for a template that big

Yea that's probably best option.
All the code and js does is retrieves information from another website. Then it uses javascript to calculate.

It is a runescape skill calculator, you input your username and your desired level. Then it pulls the exp using a php script and displays it on the table. Nothing the user defines is getting stored.

http://2007rs.net/test.php

That is a test of what it is. Nothing gets saved or put into the DB. Only displayed on the page
then why is the template contents so large you need to alter the table schema?
Pages: 1 2 3 4