MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is it possible to embed registration form in header template?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Basically, I want the registration to be available in a lightbox on any page by embedding it in header_welcomeblock_guest. But some functions only work on member.php page. I'm wondering if what I want to do is at all possible or if I should just load it from member.php in an iframe?
It should be possible if you don't need captcha or security questions or anything.
I did want to use the regq plugin actually. Although maybe it wouldn't even be necessary if the registration process is so different from most MyBB sites ... hm.
That is complicated as Euan said. At one point in time, I was also thinking on doing that.

Though I think one thing is possible and it might give good result in less efforts but it's tricky. We mess up registration page template and give it fixed width, remove other footer elements and such and keep just registration form in any style we want. Then we load that form via an iframe in a lightbox. Although this would be also complex, you've to pass on agreement page, COPPA (if enabled) and even though if you achieve this, normal registration page will be messed up as we will style it to adapt into lightbox.
@crazy4cs, while that would work, it would be a HORRIBLE experience for users without JS enabled.
(2013-03-21, 04:02 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]That is complicated as Euan said. At one point in time, I was also thinking on doing that.

Though I think one thing is possible and it might give good result in less efforts but it's tricky. We mess up registration page template and give it fixed width, remove other footer elements and such and keep just registration form in any style we want. Then we load that form via an iframe in a lightbox. Although this would be also complex, you've to pass on agreement page, COPPA (if enabled) and even though if you achieve this, normal registration page will be messed up as we will style it to adapt into lightbox.

You dont literally need to use the registration template. Use the appropriate hooks so that it all works on the index page, then re-style all the elements for the lightbox. And if JS is disabled, use <noscript>
(2013-03-21, 04:01 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]I did want to use the regq plugin actually. Although maybe it wouldn't even be necessary if the registration process is so different from most MyBB sites ... hm.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure you need it. All I'm using on my site is registration timer and spamalyser and I've yet to have one get by.
(2013-03-21, 04:07 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]@crazy4cs, while that would work, it would be a HORRIBLE experience for users without JS enabled.
Yep, more hurdles than any good. Smile

But we can also include some JS checks, but either way, it'd be too much for doing something fancy.

(2013-03-21, 04:07 PM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-21, 04:02 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]That is complicated as Euan said. At one point in time, I was also thinking on doing that.

You dont literally need to use the registration template. Use the appropriate hooks so that it all works on the index page, then re-style all the elements for the lightbox. And if JS is disabled, use <noscript>
Registration template would be needed to be altered unless you want to make another complex way because loading member.php?action=register via iframe will evaluate registration templates.
(2013-03-21, 04:16 PM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-21, 04:07 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]@crazy4cs, while that would work, it would be a HORRIBLE experience for users without JS enabled.
Yep, more hurdles than any good. Smile

But we can also include some JS checks, but either way, it'd be too much for doing something fancy.

(2013-03-21, 04:07 PM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]

Registration template would be needed to be altered unless you want to make another complex way because loading member.php?action=register via iframe will evaluate registration templates.

Thats what im saying. Create a whole new template (textboxes etc....) Use the same names, ID's, registration keys etc... then hook the new template with the correct hook.
Usability of my site without Javascript is not a concern for me, to be honest.
Pages: 1 2