MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Does PayPal have a way of taking Commission from a sale and sending it to me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I have a forum that I'd like to take commission on sales from sellers.

For example, the Seller creates a thread selling a custom game for £10. A Buyer then comes along to the thread, and clicks "Buy". They are taken to PayPal's login page, login, and pay for the game.

Then, the money is split by an amount I have defined. Let's say I want 10%.

1) The Seller gets given £9 (90%) of the total £10
2) I, as admin, gets given £1 (10%) of the total £10.

IF PayPal doesn't do this, is there a plugin for MyBB that will enable this "Commission taking"?
The way to do this would be having all money transferred to you(assuming you're taking the commission) and then transferring it the individual people after taking your cut.
That's a start, I'll consider it. But I'd rather not have to administrate all transactions.

Any other suggestions from anyone?
Well, I don't think there's any way out other than what Alex suggested.

Otherwise you'll see that on other sites. All big commission companies like Fiverr, etc does so - takes the money and offers a payout when requested. That's the way it works.

If you want to earn a buck, you gotta work for that, as simple as that.
Then you could set up a billing system so your client does all the billing etc... and at the end of the month it creates some sort of invoice that they have to pay - The invoice containing all the commissions due added up.

Of course this has the risk that they won't pay their commissions due at the end of the month though you could then simply stop them from selling?

Alternative:
www.fastspring.com - they have this exact splitpay feature built in & PayPal is a payment option through them.
If you can ditch PayPal for Stripe Connect (which frankly is a better solution for marketplace situations), it has a commission option.
(2013-03-23, 08:40 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]If you can ditch PayPal for Stripe Connect (which frankly is a better solution for marketplace situations), it has a commission option.

Problem with Stripe is its limitation to the US though.
Doing something automated like this... you could do it via php this way:
PHP system to handle monitoring sale between end client and producer.. your PHP system would then let you (the broker) know that the sale went through and you are owed a commission from producer. In order for producer to continue to use your services the producer would have to pay through PHP system to your paypal. Include the paypal transaction fee in your commission amount so you don't eat that cost. Doing it this way allows you to use paypal for everything and monitor the whole process. There is probably already a PHP system been developed for this.
(2013-03-24, 08:39 PM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]Doing something automated like this... you could do it via php this way:
PHP system to handle monitoring sale between end client and producer.. your PHP system would then let you (the broker) know that the sale went through and you are owed a commission from producer. In order for producer to continue to use your services the producer would have to pay through PHP system to your paypal. Include the paypal transaction fee in your commission amount so you don't eat that cost. Doing it this way allows you to use paypal for everything and monitor the whole process. There is probably already a PHP system been developed for this.

Of course if you do on a payment per product basis (instead of my suggestion above of a single invoice at the end of the month of everything added up) is that your commission (depending on what you take) may be so low to the point where PayPal fees just eat it all up and then some or even leave you with just a few cents.

Probably would be more financially beneficial for you to claim at once for everything at the end of the month or something.
Oops, yea I missed the monthly invoice part, yea ofc you could setup your PHP system to do this BUT you'll have more overhead to worry about, being you now are building yourself account receivables. And the problem with account receivables is that they tend not to pay back 100%. 30 days is a long time to rack up a bill and it can get so large (the commission fee) that the producer will not want to pay it and just leave and setup a new account on your forum with a different email and IP address. So then you're out all that commission you are owed with no way to really collect.. especially if they were using a temp paypal account. BUT.. if you wish to take this risk then go for it, but if not the transaction based commission will work IF the paypal fee is included in your commission price and IF the transaction is a high enough amount that your commission fee is worth it. If we're talking tens to hundreds of dollars then it could work but if we're only talking dollars to cents then yea... monthly is the way to go because it will take a lot of transactions to build up to anything substantial.