MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Any good MVC books/resources?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am not looking for an actual framework, but something to help me better understand how they work in general

descriptions of controllers, views, routers, models, etc. and what they are used for and how they interact.

any recommendations?
It's fairly simple.

Models handle all database interaction.
Views are just templates.
Controllers "control" the page and the Response.

Saying that, this is a pretty good resource: http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/other/mvc-for-noobs/
That is pretty basic and I get all that. I am hoping to gain a better understanding of how Oxwall works (I know, its not MyBB) as we are using it for my wife's new social site. It is seriously confusing to me.
I've never looked at that software itself so can't really help much there. There are many different implementations of MVC that depend entirely on the vendor.

Sounds like you'd be better of with something specific to Oxwall itself rather than the architectural stuff behind it.
i am hoping to understand the concept at an intermediate level but I can only find basics or framework specific stuff. I guess I just need to sit down and walk through the code, but its all over the place and so many files and classes and such.
That's the problem when it comes to software like that. It can be difficult to actually get started with it, but once you get to grips with the basics it should be fairly easy to understand.

Personally, I'd start by looking at how things are routed, then look at controllers. Views aren't too important as they should be very easy to understand. How models work completely depends on if they've rolled their own ORM (assuming they're using one) or are using something more common.
well at 5,200+ files its a very hard thing to get started with.....
A lot of them can probably be skipped. Could you describe the basic directory structure rather than I go download it?
Oxwall looks a mess. I couldn't figure out where things went in their folder structure. Not the best choice to learn MVC from.
(2013-03-22, 10:22 PM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of them can probably be skipped. Could you describe the basic directory structure rather than I go download it?

(2013-03-22, 10:25 PM)Fábio Maia Wrote: [ -> ]Oxwall looks a mess. I couldn't figure out where things went in their folder structure. Not the best choice to learn MVC from.

I think their folder structure is logical but I am not sure if things are put where you think they go.

core
includes
install
library
logs
pluginfiles
plugins
smarty (this is all the cached HTML and images)

stuff really is all over the place and the variables and class names are not always intuitive. plus everything is class/object within a class/object that sets another class/object. Much of it could be simplified so much
Pages: 1 2