MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bing and Google Webmaster said....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am missing <h1>

SEO Suggestion The <h1> tag is missing.
Severity High
Error Count 1
Non-Compliant Pages 1
SEO Explanation The <h1> tag is an indicator to Bingbot and web visitors of what the body copy's primary theme or topic is. The <h1> tag reinforces the core keyword(s) found in the title, description, and the body copy. We recommend that the <h1> tag includes keywords that reflect the contents of the page and that it is not longer than approximately 150 characters in length.
Recommended Action Add a header to the page by using a <h1> tag and place it within the <body> of the page source. Example: <h1>A precise and descriptive headline for the page</h1>.

Can someone help me add this?
Its completely obnoxious. Why would a search engine need a H1 tag?

Well, the best you can do now is add an H1 tag with your Meta Keywords and hide it using display:none.
If you want to do this, do it properly... for example on this page, you could put "Bing and Google Webmaster said...", i.e. the heading of this thread which is displayed in the table head above, as a <h1>Bing and Google Webmaster said...</h1>, and then style the h1 so it looks normal, as opposed to freaking huge and out of place.

On the other hand it's superfluous as that's the same thing as in the <title> already. The "use <h1> tags" is a suggestion perfectly valid for articles, blog posts and such, anything where you actually use headings... for forums, I don't really see the point.

If you start using tags in a funny, basically wrong way, it's more likely to hurt you rather than help you.
Oh ok I just thought it was important.