MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The holy grail of linux server hardening?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone had any experience with Grsecurity?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Grsecurity

It seems like the ultimate badass hardening suite for linux and probably overkill for the VPS I'm setting up.. maybe it's more for peeps on dedi.. but still it seems pretty amazing and incredibly hard to setup.
Anyone looked into this before? Any thoughts?
It's something for people who already know how to secure their systems and want to go the extra mile. For people who don't know what they're doing, it doesn't do anything whatsoever.
If you have to question if you should use it or not, you probably don't and shouldn't use it. It's the type of thing I would expect to be used at companies such as Facebook or Google which need low-low level security and restrictions. If you're running a VPS and hosting a couple of sites, it isn't for you.
ZOMG lol... I'm not questioning if I should use this or not.. I'm just opening a friendly discussion about it. I haven't seen this posted on the forum yet, and I think it's a fairly interesting topic to discuss. I'm even more curious if a BB MyBB forum owner has used it to harden his or her server.

edit:
so in other words it seems both of you don't use it? lol
okay that's cool.. have either of you tried via VM ware?
It doesn't hurt to play with amazing software, doing so teaches the tinkerer.
I just might do that later.
(2013-03-25, 03:50 PM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't hurt to play with amazing software, doing so teaches the tinkerer.

It can. If you mess with things you don't understand they can go horribly wrong. A well known example Euan destroying the mybb repo on github once Toungue.
(2013-03-25, 11:55 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]It can. If you mess with things you don't understand they can go horribly wrong. A well known example Euan destroying the mybb repo on github once Toungue.

ROFL thank you for that! lol Made my day Big Grin
(2013-03-25, 11:55 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-03-25, 03:50 PM)WebDevandPhoto Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't hurt to play with amazing software, doing so teaches the tinkerer.

It can. If you mess with things you don't understand they can go horribly wrong. A well known example Euan destroying the mybb repo on github once Toungue.
New quote for sig.
Bullies Sad
(2013-03-26, 08:48 AM)Euan T. Wrote: [ -> ]Bullies Sad

Sorry, it's the only example I could think of on the spot that I knew everyone would get if they're active on MyBB.
ROFL <3