MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Converting from Eve Community 1.3.7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone been able to convert from Eve Community 1.3.7

Eve Community is the hosted forum run by Infopop I mean Groupee I mean LiveCloud I mean Social Strata I mean Hoopla whatever the heck they call themselves.

I swear they rename their company every year - what's up with that?
If it's a hosted solution and you don't have access to the database there's not much you can do I'm afraid. If you do have access to the database, however, you could develop your own module for the Merge System or hire someone to.
(2013-03-26, 05:55 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]If it's a hosted solution and you don't have access to the database there's not much you can do I'm afraid. If you do have access to the database, however, you could develop your own module for the Merge System or hire someone to.

I can export the database.

Where is there a good resource with people to hire to do the conversion for me if I decide to go this route?
do you have access to the forum code/source as well? the issue is not just having the database, but understanding what the DB contents mean.
(2013-03-26, 04:18 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]do you have access to the forum code/source as well? the issue is not just having the database, but understanding what the DB contents mean.

I don't think I do no... but there supposedly is a converter for vBulletin for Eve 1.3.4...

http://launchforum.com/forum-world-14/fo...phpbb-139/
Where can I find people to help me with this?
Is it worth $150 to you?
Possibly. I'm still trying to figure out if I can export the database and how it'd be done. The current forum has around 60 active users at a time it seems. I'm thinking of moving it to a shared server away from Eve's hosted environment.

Is a shared server a good fit for a MyBB board with 60 active members.
Sure - 60 users isn't much, a good shared hoster should be completely fine for that. How many threads/posts are we talking about? If the community isn't very old/large, you could just as well skip the conversion. Set up a new board with same structure as the old one, ask users to join the new site, set the old site to read-only, and link them to each other. That way you'd get new content in the new forum but people could still peek at the old one for back reference, until you have enough content in the new one to ditch the old one entirely.

Developing a converter is annoying work, and there is no guarantee for success without seeing the data first. And if the export costs money (which is usually the case), anything written on the forum after the export (during the time it takes to develop an importer), won't be in the export and thus not in the import on the forum.

There aren't many people who like to write converters - if there were, the merge system would support a lot more forum systems by now.
(2013-03-30, 12:46 AM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Sure - 60 users isn't much, a good shared hoster should be completely fine for that. How many threads/posts are we talking about? If the community isn't very old/large, you could just as well skip the conversion. Set up a new board with same structure as the old one, ask users to join the new site, set the old site to read-only, and link them to each other. That way you'd get new content in the new forum but people could still peek at the old one for back reference, until you have enough content in the new one to ditch the old one entirely.

Developing a converter is annoying work, and there is no guarantee for success without seeing the data first. And if the export costs money (which is usually the case), anything written on the forum after the export (during the time it takes to develop an importer), won't be in the export and thus not in the import on the forum.

There aren't many people who like to write converters - if there were, the merge system would support a lot more forum systems by now.

The forum's been around since 2002, has 149,563 posts, and 14,179 members. Fun fun.

I'm also looking at XenForo which looks like a great forum software from what I'm looking at.

I have full access to the mysql database and I can do a dump to do the test and then if it works I can make the forums read only and do it again so it's all up to date.
Pages: 1 2