MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please help =)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been able to find a couple of threads on this topic but nobody has replied to their threads. The reason the post icon of this thread is a bug is because I want to introduce this problem as a possible bug for MyBB 1.6.9

Also, like others... I'm looking for a solution.

Is it... or is it not a bug? You can decide that for your own comfort but my opinion would be that it is one because no matter how you manipulate the MyBB system, the problem still exist. If MyBB provided an additional option for group settings or the promotion system, I wouldn't consider this a bug.

Who knows, maybe they will one day or perhaps somebody will develop an associated plugin that safely integrates within the core settings of MyBB. We'll see!

So this is what's going on...

I have set up my User Titles, Groups, and Group Promotions. Beings everyone hates Spam and there are various plugins made available to us to combat spam I got a little creative by taking additional steps to secure my forum.

What I did...

Well, it's quite simple Toungue

After the user registers, the "registered" member is restricted from viewing the normal categories and forums until they have read the rules and have applied the required steps to join the intended group which gives them unrestricted access to the normal categories and forums.

The Problem...

The user is not able to leave the "registered" group which creates a problem. They can still see the category/forum for "Registered" members.

A Possible Solution...

Add additional variables for "Registered" that allow the user to leave "Registered" aka "Primary User Group" via usercp.

Why?

Because "Registered" is the default group automatically given to the user after registration which makes it impossible for an admin with little to no coding skills to implement this on there own. Also, the "Registered" group is unlike other groups in this case. It's impossible to create a group promotion based on the lack of permissions set by the system for this group.

Feedback is encouraged and so is any criticism, I might have it all wrong after-all Toungue
So what you need done? I cant understand your thread. Be clear.
(2013-03-26, 04:21 PM)Prosper Wrote: [ -> ]I've been able to find a couple of threads on this topic but nobody has replied to their threads. The reason the post icon of this thread is a bug is because I want to introduce this problem as a possible bug for MyBB 1.6.9

Also, like others... I'm looking for a solution.

Is it... or is it not a bug? You can decide that for your own comfort but my opinion would be that it is one because no matter how you manipulate the MyBB system, the problem still exist. If MyBB provided an additional option for group settings or the promotion system, I wouldn't consider this a bug.

Who knows, maybe they will one day or perhaps somebody will develop an associated plugin that safely integrates within the core settings of MyBB. We'll see!

So this is what's going on...

I have set up my User Titles, Groups, and Group Promotions. Beings everyone hates Spam and there are various plugins made available to us to combat spam I got a little creative by taking additional steps to secure my forum.

What I did...

Well, it's quite simple Toungue

After the user registers, the "registered" member is restricted from viewing the normal categories and forums until they have read the rules and have applied the required steps to join the intended group which gives them unrestricted access to the normal categories and forums.

The Problem...

The user is not able to leave the "registered" group which creates a problem. They can still see the category/forum for "Registered" members.

A Possible Solution...

Add additional variables for "Registered" that allow the user to leave "Registered" aka "Primary User Group" via usercp.

Why?

Because "Registered" is the default group automatically given to the user after registration which makes it impossible for an admin with little to no coding skills to implement this on there own. Also, the "Registered" group is unlike other groups in this case. It's impossible to create a group promotion based on the lack of permissions set by the system for this group.

Feedback is encouraged and so is any criticism, I might have it all wrong after-all Toungue

sO YOUre using a plugin? If so, simply contact the guy who made it.
Group Promotions can change primary user group (User Group Change Type) and it should be working.
newly registered users can be promoted to confirmed members after fulfilling the required conditions
Another way to prevent users FROM spamming is UNTIL they have some minimum POST count. If you want, I can give a tutorial on how to do that.
You guys are missing the point. The registered user has no requirements other than being restricted to the rest of the forum so by creating a group promotion would be pointless. The purpose for the "registered" group is solely to display the rules including a small yet simple tutorial on how to upgrade to a group allowing access to all forums via usercp. The problem is not that they gain access to all the forums, it's that they're not allowed to leave their primary group "registered" unless I manually do it which would defeat the purpose of what I ultimately need to do.

So with that being said, even if they upgrade themselves to a new group, they still fall under the "registered" group permissions and that just won't do.
Quote:So with that being said, even if they upgrade themselves to a new group, they still fall under the "registered" group permissions and that just won't do.

It is because, after they UPGRADE, they have got to SELECT it as their DISPLAY GROUP.
(2013-03-26, 06:07 PM)Cedric Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:So with that being said, even if they upgrade themselves to a new group, they still fall under the "registered" group permissions and that just won't do.

It is because, after they UPGRADE, they have got to SELECT it as their DISPLAY GROUP.

Now we're cooking with fire Big Grin

So this has already been tested but again, "The system won't let them leave their primary group".
Quote:... even if they upgrade themselves to a new group, they still fall under the "registered" group permissions
if it is so then I believe it needs fixing. lets hope that someone from the developers group checks it
btw, the issue may be posted at Bug Tracker
[quote='.m.' pid='987023' dateline='1364321564']
Quote:... even if they upgrade themselves to a new group, they still fall under the "registered" group permissions
Quote:if it is so then I believe it needs fixing. lets hope that someone from the developers group checks it
btw, the issue may be posted at Bug Tracker

Easy killer.... I agree but lets let this soak in some bug spray a while longer and see what everyone thinks about this.

Note: The more participants we get on this discussion will definitely get somebodies attention.
Pages: 1 2