MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: moving from PHPBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
nothing is 100% safe, but if one of the largest hacking communities can run MyBB with great success and the continue to use MyBB, that should say something about the quality of MyBB.
(2013-05-31, 07:49 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]nothing is 100% safe, but if one of the largest hacking communities can run MyBB with great success and the continue to use MyBB, that should say something about the quality of MyBB.
You couldn't have put it any better! Rolleyes
(2013-05-31, 07:49 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]nothing is 100% safe, but if one of the largest hacking communities can run MyBB with great success and the continue to use MyBB, that should say something about the quality of MyBB.

..and of the thousands if not millions of forums that run phpBB can say this...what does that do for the reputation of a user on your forum that has stated this?

Quote:PHPBB exploits are being discovered every day...

Which has yet to be backed up by anything concrete. It's like that commercial you see on TV "I read on the internet that everything that is stated on the internet is true as it is against internet law to make up a fabrication" and then the actress is met by someone who is clearly not a "french model" as depicted on the internet whom she decided to meet because he stated he was a french model.

I have nothing either for nor against either software forum code, what I have a problem with is >you< (in the collective sense) allowing such blatantly false accusations to even be allowed to be displayed without said nub getting any sort of "slap". The nubs statement earlier should, IMHO, be redacted or somehow "softened over" by a moderator or developer of myBB software.

Do I have some personal affiliation with phpBB? Yes, that is what I learned to code off of some 7 years ago using phpBB2 (as is widely known in the phpBB world I am an accountant by trade and what I make my living from). I haven't looked at myBB code and at this point have no desire to, but the users of phpBB seem to appreciate the mods I have offered them if the download count of this mod is any indication.

This seems to be a very similar case of cloudflare and I am pretty sure what many think of that service.

Apples to apples and respect to respect is anything any forum software can expect from its "competition"....just as the moderators/support givers of phpBB have shown. It would be my hope that we can all just "learn to live together". Just my .02 on the matter and I will now bow out of this conversation.

Good luck to myBB and to phpBB in all either offers to the end users of whichever software.
(2013-06-02, 01:00 AM)RMcGirr83 Wrote: [ -> ]I have nothing either for nor against either software forum code, what I have a problem with is >you< (in the collective sense) allowing such blatantly false accusations to even be allowed to be displayed without said nub getting any sort of "slap". The nubs statement earlier should, IMHO, be redacted or somehow "softened over" by a moderator or developer of myBB software.

I agree his words are far from being realistic, but so are yours. We are on a FORUM here, the collective isn't responsible for one person's opinion and it doesn't proove anything about it. Why should MyBB staff soften/punish it? It doesn't insult anyone nor break any other rule. Should statement like 'grass is blue' get redacted too?

Also why do you even bother coming here and arguing? If I were you, I'd say phpBB community is bad because it lets users go to other script's forums and devaluate its community because of 1 user's opinion, without getting warned for it on phpBB forums. But that would be ridiculous.

(2013-06-02, 01:00 AM)RMcGirr83 Wrote: [ -> ]Apples to apples and respect to respect is anything any forum software can expect from its "competition"....just as the moderators/support givers of phpBB have shown.

I agree with the 1st part, but where do you see respect in the link you posted? For instance:
Jessica Wrote:Personally I think MyBB is awful. Sure, it's easy to install plugins but there aren't many good ones and the default style is ugly. It does have advantages but overall phpBB is WAY better (even SMF is better)
How does this differ from ElectricShock's post? The only argument is that the default style is bad (which I have to agree with), which can be easily replaced with hundreds of custom styles. So is there any reasonable argument? No. Did her post get moderated? No.
This discussion is not to be an arguement about which software is better. Both have good qualities. The OP wants to know how to convert, they have made their choice. Please assist them instead of going off topic.
The difference Destroy666 is that user from phpBB never said anything about any "exploits" which equate to security issues. She was giving an opinion...ElectricShock was stating a fact which isn't a fact at all.
(2013-03-31, 12:23 AM)tanveer Wrote: [ -> ]thanks alot for your answer
who can port my theme? it is this
http://www.m-a-styles.de/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7

any info on merge system?

I'm sure someone will be able to port your theme if you ask here: http://community.mybb.com/forum-149.html

For all i know it might have already been done.

As for converting, everything you need to know should be on the merge systems main page. If you get stuck with something its a good idea to do a google search or forum search before you ask as its likely your question or problem has already been encounted and answered by other users. However if you do happen to run in to a problem and you can't find an answer for it, just ask here and i'm sure someone will get back to you.

http://www.mybb.com/downloads/merge-system
Pages: 1 2