MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need as much as help as possible (Opinions)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I'm planning on purchasing my first VPS in a month or two but I don't know much about how they operate and stuff. I was wondering if you guys can give your personal opinions, what's recommend, what's not recommended, tips and tricks so they can help me out in future. I would highly appreciate your help and if possible can someone tell me what's the difference between openvz and KVM?
Judging by your post, you should really do some googling and pick up a book at your library before you run a server.

OpenVZ is a virtualization system, whereas KVM is a way to access a server with Keyboard, Video, and Mouse.
(2013-04-02, 09:39 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]Judging by your post, you should really do some googling and pick up a book at your library before you run a server.

OpenVZ is a virtualization system, whereas KVM is a way to access a server with Keyboard, Video, and Mouse.

Not necessarily Josh. KVM is also a virtualization technology. It stands for Kernal-based Virtual Machine. Toungue
Ya, the KVM you're thinking of is a switch. VNC would be like remote desktop.

Personally I try to avoid OpenVZ since ti's more easily abused for overselling by the host (not all do it but it's easier). It also uses a shared kernel which can sometimes cause troubles. So KVM or XEN are what I would recommend.

For specific hosts check the web hosting thread.
Well. Now I feel bad.
If I were to pick up a book to learn VPS commands etc, which book would you guys recommend?
Google...

It's your best recourse, honestly.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/ and http://library.linode.com are great resources to start with.
If you're new to Linux, I highly recommend purchasing one of the following:

A managed VPS with a control panel to jump right into a production box.
OR
A very cheap unmanaged VPS to learn with.

OpenVZ is a "container" which runs on top of the host node's kernel. It's not really a private server in the sense but the benefits are better performance (no overhead) and cost (they are cheaper to manage so they tend to be cheaper to sell). The OS is installed via OS Templates so it's a one click install. Supports Linux OSes only.

KVM is a real Virtual Private Server. It runs it's own kernel and the only thing shared by the host node is the hardware (although this is emulated to the VPS so there is some overhead and performance loss in the process, usually not enough to notice under normal usage). The OS is installed either via an ISO (like how you would install an OS on your computer) although OS Templates, similar to OpenVZ's, are available but usually limited compared to the ISOs. Supports Linux, Windows, and BSD.

Pick KVM if you...
need to compile your own kernel.
need to manage kernel modules.
need to install Windows, BSD, or special ISOs.
need to setup special partitions.
need to setup a special NIC configuration.
need to encrypt your drive or require more privacy/security.
do not trust your hosting company.
are not paying for the server.

Pick OpenVZ if you...
need something simple.
do not need a complex setup.
want to save money.
trust your hosting company.
do not need anything KVM provides.
Thanks everyone. I was wondering, if I do purchase a VPS does it come with a control panel or do I purchase my own? If so then what are the requirements for the best and easiest control panel?
Pages: 1 2