MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Worth of Design
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know this tends to be a big issue surrounding MyBB, but I found a couple of awesome articles worth reading if you haven't.

http://www.bidsketch.com/blog/selling-we...your-work/
http://laurenvenell.com/myths-that-make-...heir-work/

I'm not suggesting everybody raise their prices or anything, but it's just interesting to know. ^.^
Good articles, I do feel design in the MyBB community is an extremely under paid one, with many people expecting top quality designs for extremely low prices. Hopefully this will change as people realise good web design services are expensive.

But then again, that isn't to say I agree with people charging extortionately high prices either. I just want it to be fair and reasonable lol.
(2013-04-09, 12:52 AM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]Good articles, I do feel design in the MyBB community is an extremely under paid one, with many people expecting top quality designs for extremely low prices. Hopefully this will change as people realise good web design services are expensive.

But then again, that isn't to say I agree with people charging extortionately high prices either. I just want it to be fair and reasonable lol.

Extortion:
Quote:Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offence of unlawfully obtaining money, property, or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion.

o.O

Also here's another one relating to what you mentioned:

http://www.graphicdesignblender.com/what...e-designer

The comments are interesting as well, as some of them give actual dollar amounts.
No surprise that the market for MyBB themes sucks so much – how many sites using MyBB are actually serious?

Quote:“I can get the same thing for cheaper at a chain store.” No, you most certainly cannot. A person who says this does not understand the difference between a Scharffenberger souffle and a Hershey bar. Even though they may say they’re seeking value, what they really care about is price, and not any other aspect of value such as quality or integrity. This person is therefore not your customer, so feel free to send them cheerfully along to Walmart.

This resonates with me so much.
(2013-04-09, 01:09 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-09, 12:52 AM)ESR360 Wrote: [ -> ]Good articles, I do feel design in the MyBB community is an extremely under paid one, with many people expecting top quality designs for extremely low prices. Hopefully this will change as people realise good web design services are expensive.

Extortion:
Quote:Extortion (also called shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offence of unlawfully obtaining money, property, or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion.

o.O

Also here's another one relating to what you mentioned:

http://www.graphicdesignblender.com/what...e-designer

The comments are interesting as well, as some of them give actual dollar amounts.

I'm sure "extortionately high prices" is a saying :/
(2013-04-09, 01:20 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]No surprise that the market for MyBB themes sucks so much – how many sites using MyBB are actually serious?

^This. Everyone wish to get their site as popular as **The big board they saw day before**. But they hardly wish to put as much effort as the big board admin did.
(2013-04-09, 01:20 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]No surprise that the market for MyBB themes sucks so much – how many sites using MyBB are actually serious?

Valid point.

Yeah good point, just comes with the territory I guess.
IMO if you're strategy for making money as a MyBB designer is focusing on freelance/custom design work then you are wasting your time. The amount of time dedicated to a custom design for the prices the market dictates just isn't worth it. In the same amount of time I've made premium themes and made 10x as much money.

I love when users complain that I charge too much for custom work and that I'm crazy.. The dollars speak for themselves as far as I'm concerned.
(2013-04-09, 01:56 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]
^This. Everyone wish to get their site as popular as **The big board they saw day before**. But they hardly wish to put as much effort as the big board admin did.

^ This ^ agree with you. Kavin is right too.

(2013-04-09, 07:36 PM)wils172 Wrote: [ -> ]IMO if you're strategy for making money as a MyBB designer is focusing on freelance/custom design work then you are wasting your time. The amount of time dedicated to a custom design for the prices the market dictates just isn't worth it. In the same amount of time I've made premium themes and made 10x as much money.

I love when users complain that I charge too much for custom work and that I'm crazy.. The dollars speak for themselves as far as I'm concerned.

may be correct for you I cant accept this to the fullest. but it is a valid point too.
I get nearly 10+ requests for custom themes a week.
In case of premium themes, i hardly get a buyer. May be 1/2 per month.
Yes the market price is one thing that pulls behind.

The thing is the userbase of MyBB mainly originates from 11-15 years old. They get a hosting for free , a free domain co.cc or .tk or what ever, and always the free MyBB.

After running for few months only 10% or less , would get their forum upgraded , say a TLD , a better host.
hardly < 1% among them gets the themes genuinely, either premium or custom.

And 4-9% moves their site into a paid software like IPB or Xen or VB or whatever.

So , in MyBB things work like this and so the opportunities are very much less compared to other softwares, a user expects everything to be free.
Same thing if you see XEN/ IPB , a guy buys it for 150-200$ and he never ind to spend another $100 for a theme.

Pirated sites these days were ripping the work, and releasing them for free.
These issues are dragging back a designer to release his work, and even after release hardly he gets 10+ sales.
Pages: 1 2 3