MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installing Ubuntu alongside Windows XP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've recently come into possession of an old computer, and I'm trying to install Ubuntu alongside the existing OS, Windows XP. However, I am not having any success. I downloaded the .iso file, burned it to a disc, and put that into the drive. Rebooted the PC and nothing happens, rebooted it and changed the boot order so it will load first, nothing happens, and finally, rebooted it and chose to boot from CD (forcibly in the boot menu) where nothing happens.

I put the disc into my laptop and checked, Ubuntu was written successfully, checked in the XP computer, it is empty. Huh
Maybe the optical disk drive is damaged on the computer?

Edit: Also did you burn it to a dvd? If so make sure the optical drive supports it because depending on the age some don't.
Also be sure you burned the image to the disk properly. Putting the .iso on the disk as-is (i.e. via the built in Windows burning system) won't work, you have to use a program to burn it right.
Eh, use Wubi if you don't need a totally optimized system.
(2013-04-13, 06:47 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe the optical disk drive is damaged on the computer?

Edit: Also did you burn it to a dvd? If so make sure the optical drive supports it because depending on the age some don't.

I think it might be damaged. Undecided Another disc wasn't recognised.

(2013-04-13, 03:21 PM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]Also be sure you burned the image to the disk properly. Putting the .iso on the disk as-is (i.e. via the built in Windows burning system) won't work, you have to use a program to burn it right.

It was definitely burned right, when I tested the disc in my laptop everything looked how it should.

(2013-04-13, 06:16 PM)Lo. Wrote: [ -> ]Eh, use Wubi if you don't need a totally optimized system.

I think I need an internet connection for that and the modem isn't in the same place as the computer - and it can't really move from there.

I'm probably just going to use a VM, thinking about it, I want to run Vagrant and check out Discourse.
Try using a USB key with Unetbootin.
I just checked the CD I was burning it to, it's actually a DVD. I was trying to stick a DVD into a CD-ROM Drive. Toungue

Since I don't think I have any CD's lying about, I'll just go with the VM. Thanks anyway. Smile
(2013-04-13, 11:20 PM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]I just checked the CD I was burning it to, it's actually a DVD. I was trying to stick a DVD into a CD-ROM Drive. Toungue

Since I don't think I have any CD's lying about, I'll just go with the VM. Thanks anyway. Smile

Well VM's give terrible performance, if you have a spare usb, really consider trying Unetbootin. Same OS, just off of a usb.
I know you've decided not to use Wubi, but I just wanted to add a heads up that it'll be removed as of 13.10 anyway so definitely keep away Wink
You can install Ubuntu from a USB PEN. No need for a CD/DVD.
Pages: 1 2