MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setting up a test copy of myBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

I'm currently in the middle of a conversion project from a very old Snitz based forum to myBB which goes through a few steps before I get to myBB.

The process is pretty long each time I have to start it again so I'm hoping to make a working copy of what I have now in myBB and then use that copy until I break it... then I'll rinse and repeat until I'm happy with the results.

My first inclination was to make a sql dump file of the current myBB database and then to import that data into a second database. Then I copied the entire contents of my myBB folder (recursively) into a second folder on my server.

Now I'm kind of stuck. Obviously there are problems regarding the new folder's settings pointing to the other directory and database. I tried to edit settings.php as a starting point and give it the proper directory reference but that only leads to the login/cookie problem.

Is there an easy, clear cut way to accomplish this task?

Thanks,
Olds
for the login cookie related issues, have you seen Login Logout problems
Yes, I have. In this case it's the exact same server with a slightly different directory. I removed the cookies from my browser and edited settings.php to point to the correct subdirectory. No dice.

I'm just asking what technique others recommend for setting up a test site based on an already working site.

Or more exactly, I need two sites working in tandem based off of the same initial data set. They will both need to be active working off of separate databases at the time the 2nd one launches. I will make mistakes on one while properly configuring the other.
in general, we setup MyBB forums in separate sub-folders. in this method there should be no problem
in configuring the cookies (eg. installation folders root/mybb1 and root/mybb2)
Okay, let us assume that there isn't a cookie problem. How would I go about getting the second directory setup to point to the other database? Or maybe a better question is how do I accomplish my goal?

If I make a copy of the database then make a new directory and do a fresh install pointing to the new database will the installation delete out the tables or use what it finds?

I guess I've got nothing to lose so I'm off to try that.

-Olds

p.s. The cookie problem is no longer a problem. I shouldn't even have mentioned that. It's derailing this thread Smile
^ no need of installing MyBB again.
duplicating method you mentioned in the first post works fine with the changes in settings.php & config.php
That's exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks. I'm dumb enough to not have known where the database string was referenced.

Up and working now.

-Olds
The database settings are configured in by default in the installation process. If you want to change database details after installation, then you should change them in inc/settings.php.
(2013-04-16, 02:02 PM)ElectricShock Wrote: [ -> ]The database settings are configured in by default in the installation process. If you want to change database details after installation, then you should change them in inc/settings.php.

The database credentials are stored in ./inc/config.php. ./inc/settings.php is simply a cache of the settings in the database.
I got it now. Thanks. Marked as resolved. Working like a champ!

-Olds