MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: internal error on new installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I take it this is a common error.
I've read through several threads which conclude by telling the frustrated user to contact their hosting support. For better or for worse I am my hosting support.

For now I'm trying to install on a new mint linux localhost. Once working on localhost I'll do it again on my dedicated server.

uname -a reveals:
Linux mylocalhost 3.5.0-17-generic #28-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 9 19:32:08 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

mysql --version reveals:
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.29, for debian-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.2
mysql works fine. I have already used it for other things.

I read the installation instructions and set file permissions as requested.
Pointing a browser at localhost/mybb reveals:

MyBB has experienced an internal error and cannot continue
Error Type:
MyBB Error (41)
Error Message:
Your board has not yet been installed and configured. Please do so before attempting to browse it.

Most forums want you to edit a config file first. MyBB seems to want to do that from an initial installation form. But I never get to that form.

,,,,help appreciated....
You've to point your browser to localhost/mybb/install

Of course if name of your folder is "mybb" and you unpacked downloaded file to that folder.
(2013-04-17, 01:40 PM)Jovan J. Wrote: [ -> ]You've to point your browser to localhost/mybb/install

Of course if name of your folder is "mybb" and you unpacked downloaded file to that folder.

Oooops. OK. I'm embareassed. It does seem like there could be a way to redirect that particular error with something like header("Location: /mybb/install");

But I'm still a dummy.

Post Script:
All is well. Thank you. Now I need to figure out how to migrate 15,000 posts from Phorum.
I'll see if I can hack the existing phpBB merge script.
(2013-04-17, 01:43 PM)pittendrigh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-17, 01:40 PM)Jovan J. Wrote: [ -> ]You've to point your browser to localhost/mybb/install

Oooops. OK. I'm embareassed. It does seem like there could be a way to redirect that particular error with something like header("Location: /mybb/install");

But I'm still a dummy.

It's ok, there is no reason for that Smile
You can always read our docs if you've some problem and also post a new thread with your questions.

http://docs.mybb.com/