MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyRPG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think this plugin sounds awesome and I wish you the best of luck with it.

On my own website I want to have a very basic RPG system where there is no need for a battle sim, shop, etc.

All I want is for a plugin which would allow multiple games, each of which is linked to a forum. Within each game a user can create numerous characters. They then write a character sheet for those character.

Then, within the forum where the game is linked, they can select a character to post as possibly from a drop-down menu. This would pull information from the character sheet (some very basic stats, i.e. name, description, character image, etc.) and display it within the postbit.

The sheets would need to be customizable in the sense that not every game would have the same information on their own sheet.

I was looking at MyShowcase, which is an absolutely wonderful plugin and accomplishes almost everything that I need it do; except posting the information in the postbit. I'd even be willing to pay for a mod of MyShowcase to allow such functionality.

The reason I am mentioning the above in this thread is that, I really love the idea of an RPG Plugin, and I know that most people who want one will probably want all the bells and whistles. I just wanted to direct you towards different type of games that can be run on forums so that, should you feel it necessary, also include features which covers as many bases as possible.

Again though, fantastic idea and whether the end result can really handle the functionality I need, I really, really look forward to playing around with it. Smile
I don't think this is the plugin for you then. I am not going to rethink the way I am doing it for such a unique way sorry.
Hi Exze!

I wasn't asking you to change the way you were thinking; I apologize if you got that impression. My suggestion was simply that if you are going to put so much work into such a plugin that you perhaps consider all angles as to make it as accessible as possible (I'm assuming a wider audience is always better?).

As stated in my previous post:

"whether the end result can really handle the functionality I need, I really, really look forward to playing around with it"

I am continually impressed by the quality of plugins available for free software such as MyBB, and I do hope you did not take insult from my previous post. Offering you a different point-of-view for something that you may have wanted to add (not change) without realizing such a need was not meant as a criticism nor as a request.

Edit: But thank you for your reply.
Ah, I now understand your PoV. I will make it as flexible as I can,if the end product is not what you need, there is the option that I could customize it to your needs for a small fee.
That is extremely kind of you; and I would be interested in taking you up on that offer when the time comes.

But I do know that this kind of project is huge, and adding bits and pieces onto it may make the entire thing way too unmanageable for you as the author. I'm just delighted someone is actively working on a RPG mod. I think it's desperately needed for MyBB (just take a look at the most viewed threads in this forum, a few are about RPG mods that never seen the light of day).

I am really looking forward to seeing this in action. As I said, I am extremely impressed by the quality of these types of plugins and I envy everyone for their coding talents and though I cannot contribute much in the way of PHP or MySQL coding, I'm not too bad with styling and designing, so if there is anything you need do not hesitate to ask!
(2013-04-30, 08:15 AM)Narcissus Wrote: [ -> ]That is extremely kind of you; and I would be interested in taking you up on that offer when the time comes.

But I do know that this kind of project is huge, and adding bits and pieces onto it may make the entire thing way too unmanageable for you as the author. I'm just delighted someone is actively working on a RPG mod. I think it's desperately needed for MyBB (just take a look at the most viewed threads in this forum, a few are about RPG mods that never seen the light of day).

I am really looking forward to seeing this in action. As I said, I am extremely impressed by the quality of these types of plugins and I envy everyone for their coding talents and though I cannot contribute much in the way of PHP or MySQL coding, I'm not too bad with styling and designing, so if there is anything you need do not hesitate to ask!

I appreciate the offer but no graphics are needed, it will use everything from the theme. Maybe a few extras could be optional, yes it's huge and I don't expect a stable release for a while. I work on this during the time I have left after everything else I do is taken into account.

I am accepting all suggestions however big or small. Earlier the better so I can compensate for them.

The following ways can be used to gain XP.
  • Posting
  • Creating Threads
  • Posting polls
  • Giving reputation to others

Then there is more of an RPG feel of getting XP
[*]Crimes
[*]GTA
[*]OC
[*]Murder
[*]Search

However all of these features will be designed towards a mafia style type of game however, it will be easily be able to be changed to anything you like as an example.

Crimes will be called Actions, you define the action, the rewards (success, fail), there will be a jail as an option as well.

Search, for example you could search the streets or search the forest, depending on the genre.

Level system will be as follows
$rows['level']*$rows['level']*2.2

So if I was level 5, I would need 5*5*2.2 so 55xp to level up.

You will be able to build your own plugins, for example this will be used to have the "level" in the postbit.

<?php
if(!defined("IN_MYBB"))
{
	die("Direct initialization of this file is not allowed.<br /><br />Please make sure IN_MYBB is defined.");
}

function MyRPGLevel_info()
{
    return array(
        "name"			=> "MyRPG Postbit_level",
        "description"	=> "Postbit section for MyRPG.",
        "website"		=> "http://mybb.com",
        "author"		=> "Exze <=> Ian",
        "authorsite"	=> "http://stoopidmonkey.net",
        "version"		=> "0.1 Alpha",
        "guid" 			=> "",
        "compatibility" => "16*"
    );
}

function postbit_level(&$post)
{
    global $db;
    $query = $db->simple_select(MYRPG_PREFIX . "characters", "level", "uid={$post['uid']}");

if($db->num_fields($query))
    {
        while($rows = $db->fetch_array($query))
        {
            $post['user_details'] = "{$post['user_details']} <br /> Level: {$rows['level']}";
        }
    }
    else
    {
        $post['user_details'] = "{$post['user_details']} <br /> Level: Error";
    }
}

function MyRPGLevel_is_installed()
{
    global $db;
    return defined('MYRPG');
}

$plugins->add_hook("postbit", "postbit_level");

?>

Hope that is informative enough for now. More to come in the coming future
This seems like a very cool idea. Maybe you can offer an integration into newpoints within the near future.
Define integration? What integrating?
So that administrators can choose give/remove points from users depending on different actions in the MyRPG system. I suppose, if you include the right hooks everywhere it is necessary, a independent plugin may be coded.
(2013-05-30, 01:56 AM)Omar G. Wrote: [ -> ]So that administrators can choose give/remove points from users depending on different actions in the MyRPG system. I suppose, if you include the right hooks everywhere it is necessary, a independent plugin may be coded.

I guess so, I am working on it now, however I have moved away from MyBB due to the features I want to implement and the amount of admin actions needed, I don't believe there is enough space in the MyBB interface to fit it all in.

I will however be creating a bridge to MyBB in which you will be able to login/register and use various MyBB plugins with. Engine development its self has taken inspiration from MyBB and the Wordpress systems.
Pages: 1 2 3