MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Warning system suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
This is my first post, so I'd like to say hello to everyone and thanks to the development team for this great resource! Great to see that VBulletin actually has serious competition!
Anyway, I have been comparing MyBB's warning system to VBulletin's infraction system. I love the points system and automatic penalties for receiving X number of points in both of these products as it helps to take the subjectivity out of moderation.
I'd like to suggest that perhaps there should be another setting which could allow us to define automatic penalties for users who acumulate more than X number of warnings (or warning points) in total.
This is the only feature VBulletin's warning system has that yours doesn't appear to have, and it helps to catch those users who know just how long to wait for their points to expire before getting right back into the trouble making scene.
In this case: you ban a user if they have 10 points at any given time. For argument's sake, we'll say advertizing is worth 1 point, trolling is worth 2 and abuse of staf is worth 3. So a user gets three warnings for abuse of staf and needs one more point to be banned, except he waits out his warnings and as soon as his points expire he's right back at it.
The ideal solution would be to configure the system so when this user has received 30 points (in the history of his account), he's also banned. This does allow users a little more forgiveness if they don't break your forum rules for a while and then start slipping up again, however it takes care of the ones who know how to milk the system (he could wait for his points to be expired and then start being himself again, but the fourth time he does it he's in for a surprise).
Revoked warnings should be excluded from the users cumulative total however.
What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks.