MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Centos 5 or Centos 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm about to buy a VPS but it's asking for the operating system, what should I pick? There are more choices too, so suggest the ones you recommend.
I'd advise you go with CentOS 6 unless you have a specific reason to use CentOS 5. I'm running 6.4 on all my servers without issue.
CentOS 6 is always preferred out of the two. Personally, I'd go Debian though if it's offered.
Ubuntu 12.04, FTW!
I use CentOS 6 and that's what I recommend.
(2013-04-18, 06:33 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I'd go Debian though if it's offered.

(2013-04-18, 09:38 PM)Ben Cousins Wrote: [ -> ]Ubuntu 12.04, FTW!

Though many would disagree, I agree with this - a lot.
Ubuntu isn't the most flexible or geekiest distro, but it's an awesome server OS when you just want stuff to work without dicking around too much.
I like it because it's relatively stable (IMO), and package updates are more fast-paced than RHEL derivatives.
(2013-04-19, 03:37 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]Ubuntu isn't the most flexible or geekiest distro, but it's an awesome server OS when you just want stuff to work without dicking around too much.

I like to be in the shell as little as possible (I prefer to spend most of my time productively) - That's why I suggested Ubuntu.
(2013-04-19, 03:37 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]Ubuntu isn't the most flexible or geekiest distro, but it's an awesome server OS when you just want stuff to work without dicking around too much.

And as such would probably be perfect for OP. It also has a relatively small learning curve.
Pages: 1 2