MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fantastic default theme.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was just looking at the new theme:

http://www.mybbsecurity.net/18/index.php

It's awesome. I'm loving the buttons specially. It's not the default OS style. I do have some suggestions though:
  • Can you guys try to remove those <br>'s and use CSS instead.
    The HTML scares me to not develop themes. The inline styles, <br>'s, and now [fixed] in 1.8 was the .gifs and conflicting jQuery with Prototype. I'm not sure if removing them from template files would break it or not and not sure if plugins require these inline styles and <br>'s.... If only these can be fixed I would LOVE to start developing... I just don't want anyone looking at my forums code and see a bunch of WTFHTML.....I'm excited for 1.8 since half of these problems seem to be fixed and developing MyBB themes wouldn't scare me as much.... (I'm sensitive about my code)
  • Also, instead of "style="clear: both;"" Which adds more markup, why not just make a class name .clearfix, or even better .group (semantics<3.group & a less html using ether or). .group/.clearfix would contain:

.clearfix:before,
            .clearfix:after {
              content: ".";
              display: block;
              height: 0;
              overflow: hidden;
            }

.clearfix:after {
                clear: both;
            }

.clearfix {
                zoom: 1; /* IE < 8 */
            }

• Not really a suggestion but a tip. type="text/css" is kinda pointless nowadays. You can just use <style>

• Remove style="text-align: center; and add css / a align-center class? Please.

• Please play with Media Queries and give mobile users some attention.

• Give classnames to video and image bbcode for designing purposes.

We try to avoid template changes that aren't necessary because it may break existing themes and plugins. Therefore it is almost impossible to implement some of your suggestions. E.g. media queries are pointless when using tables and (unfortunately) most templates contain tables.
However everything should be possible with a custom themes...
(2013-04-20, 11:07 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]We try to avoid template changes that aren't necessary because it may break existing themes and plugins. Therefore it is almost impossible to implement some of your suggestions. E.g. media queries are pointless when using tables and (unfortunately) most templates contain tables.
However everything should be possible with a custom themes...

Aw, that sucks. I knew you'd say it though. Oh well.

The reason I suggested these are so I can start making themes for the community. I'm really interested and MyBB is my favorite forum software.. I really want too.

Would it be safe to remove those myself and release as a theme? I'm waiting for 1.8 before developing.
(2013-04-20, 11:31 PM)kawohi Wrote: [ -> ]Would it be safe to remove those myself and release as a theme? I'm waiting for 1.8 before developing.

He already said so, besides a bunch of people including myself are already working on alternative base templates.
Looks nice, very exciting future indeed Smile
Hopefully it's alright to bump this specifically for the clearfix part.

For the clearfix in particular I feel like an upgrade would be helpful. I'll just provide an example:

.post .post_author {
    overflow: hidden;
}

Result:

[attachment=33745]

.post .post_author:before,
.post .post_author:after {
    content: ' ';
    display: table;
}

.post .post_author:after {
}

Result:

[attachment=33746]

It could be argued this should be done on a theme level, however I believe that it's just done wrong in MyBB currently because its clearfix method is outdated, and in this example not even used while overflow: hidden; was because the clearfix didn't work.

Not a big deal either way since it is a simple fix on the theme side, but it'd be a better solution with no downside I believe.
I use a similar clearfix as a global thing

.u-cf {
  content: "";
  display: table;
}

so its
class= "something u-cf"
I also used that solution until I read this article: http://fuseinteractive.ca/blog/understan...e-clearfix

But yes I think it'd be better to replace the clearfix globally.