MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will ruby dominate PHP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have a doubt, that ruby might succeed PHP, though PHP is used by many developers world wide, Ruby has made them to rethink.

Ruby is pretty damm strong in OOPS, i think the future would be either java or ruby.
I'm not gonna learn another language, and reprogram mybb, thats for sure Toungue
Just checking Ruby out now... erm.. seems interesting. :/
lol .... That's not going to happen because ruby has done nothing new, it's all been done by other languages, better in past but why ruby raised its' head was because of that cool lil' framework, ruby on rails. That was a work done really well! Bravo to 37signals and everyone else involved.

You got the idea PHP is dieing coz of all those 15yo guys acting up to the hype, "boo php, me too ruby.. me too ruby" without knowing anything. I know few programmers are drifting away but that's for good. Sooner we'll have more professional php programmers left. OOP is only good in big projects and enterprise environments, while ruby is more targeted to hobbyists who jumped onto it due to the rails framework. If you say PHP's got a bad implementation of OOP or not at all, then hear me say "PHP5 is pretty sufficient for as far as OOP is concerned".

PHP is to stay with already a mature code-based and a huge loyal community, they'll come up with competitive framework (zend is developing one) and the codebase is getting better day by day. Although I consider the current ruby as PHP 3, I don't want to talk further on it to prevent fanboys bashing.

I am looking forward to PHP6, which will fix internalization issues.
ofcourse most think the same way, but some dev think it in another way, The real part is framework. i could classify in two groups...

1. one developing small app like contact form etc...

2. other using the framework ( PHP ).

now ruby on rails framework is excellant, that makes the devs to think to it and PHP is just a hard slog.
The professionals are still here to stay. For example, I for one always have sort of my own framework and that's how I work with for each project. It consists of a DB abstraction layer, templating system, controllers (the skeleton or the builder), etc. It's not an MVC framework though still pretty close.

The productivity usage of frameworks offer is of course of vital importance, but seasoned programmers like us have already found our ways out. Now there are many good php frameworks available like phpCake but if you ask me, I find all frameworks as "bloated" so unless it's a big project, I keep away from using most parts of my own framework.

And FYI, Zend framework is being worked on Smile ..