MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: When opening a thread, go to new post help.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering how I could get it so when people are viewing threads, when they click on the thread, it'll go to the most newest post of where they left off.

A couple of my members on my board get lost where they were since our threads move at such a fast pace and want to know where they can start reading from again when they stopped viewing the thread.

So here's an example of what I mean. Let's say my friends name is Bob. Bob makes a post:

Bob: Post A and then he leaves and let's say more posts came afterwards.
Post B
Post C and so forth to let's say...
Post T.

Now let's say Bob wants to go view the thread again. He clicks on the thread but what it does is just go to the start of the thread and he doesn't remember where he posted or what he needed to catch up on since he doesn't know what is truly unread yet.

So basically I just want to know where and what template I have to edit to add in the command "&action=newpost" at the end of a thread so that it links them to where they last posted and where all the new unread posts begin. I have a plugin that shows the most recent posts (up to 5 threads) that has the "&action=newpost" action in it so it's easy to remember, but if you just view the threads normally by viewing them in the forum categories, you'll simply get lost since you can't remember where you posted and where you left off.

Any help will be appreciated. I have been digging around but I have found nothing of yet. Thanks in advance.

(our forum gets over 10 pages everyday so it's very hard to keep up with. This will be a huge help if we know where to fix the template to include "&action=newpost".)

To make it simpler, where do I add the command "&action=newpost" to the showthread.php template so that on the forum, when I'm viewing the threads, the threads will have "&action=newpost" at the end of their links so they'll go to the last unread post?
I use the unread posts plugin by lukasamd - you can find it on the mods site. It works very well and offers the exact functionality you need.

The ONLY issue is that it seems to set all posts from the beginning of time to unread for new members Big Grin
If you look at this forum for example, can't commennt on your forum as have no idea what theme you are using, but if you look at the thread list of this forum you will see a little green arrow and if you click that it will take you to the first unread post,
it goes to the following link http://community.mybb.com/thread-138044-newpost.html

hope this helps
Thanks for the help. I'll try out these things and see if they work.
Works fine here as i just user it to read you post. and works on my forum i have never user the plugin, there must be a way to do this on clicking the thread title rather than a little image.