MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: cookie settings and sesions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question regarding the cookie settings.
My forum is accessed either forums.domain.com, which points directly to the forum root, or through domain.com/forums.

I'm running into problems using either of these settings:
1) Cookie Domain: .forums.domain.com
Cookie Path: /

2) Cookie Domain: .domain.com
Cookie Path: /forums/

Will either setting work for both address? Say one user access the site through the subdomain and another user uses domain/forums.

Here are the problems I've been having. I've tried both variations and accessed the site each way. Sometimes users cannot login, sometimes users cannot logout. If I remove the cookie settings all together, users can log in and out, but the New Post identifier never goes away unless Mark Froum as red is used. Even after the session is ended (closing browser).

I read somewhere there was a problem with how posts being red are tracked, but this was supposed to be addressed in 1.1, and I have not heard anything since.

Thanks
If you want to use your forum with two different addresses. I suggest installing Autoset bburl and Autoset cookiepaths.
This will change the cookie domains and paths for each url.

There is a problem with New posts not being marked read. Although should set them to read after a while.
I experienced problems with Autoset cookiepaths, but I was not using it in conjunction with Autoset bburl.

I'll try both right now. Thanks CrakteR
With both of those recommended plugins enabled, I cannot logout.
evandena Wrote:I'm running into problems using either of these settings:
1) Cookie Domain: .forums.domain.com

2) Cookie Domain: .domain.com
Cookie Path: /forums/
It should work if you use these settings:
Cookie Domain: .domain.com

If you can use this, you can only have 1 MyBB copy in the domain.com site. (If you have 2 or more, the cookies will interfere).

Remember to clear your browser cookies after making any cookie setting changes.
Thanks Dennis. After all that frogging around, it turns out the problem was on my end. I should have cleared my cookie on my PC. Shy