MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [BOGUS] Boo mybb, I got hacked!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey there...

starts rant:
@#$@#$@#R@#%@#%@#R#%$!@#~!@$#%@#@#~!#$!~$
I was using the latest version of MyBB and still got hacked... mybb sucks.. mybb sucks... mybb sucks....
ends rant

Ok, a user of my forum today informed me with a cheesy smile that spicefuse.com is hacked. I was really busy with something else, yet I took out the time to check it out only to realize my install directory was mistakingly left there. I visited the site and found myself to be logged out so I thought, "woo, my account's gone".

After analyzing the log files and finding nothing, I visited the site again to check out at what time the post was made at and whaaa, I was logged in as "Pacifier". uhh, it didn't take me long to figure out it was merely a post saying the board's hacked while in reality nothing had happened.

This is the image that was on there:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2838/hackedgy8.jpg

Ohh and I wasn't logged in as "Pacifier" because I visited my site without using www. Toungue ...

bah... *feels stupid* .... you got me, successfully distracted from the useful work I was doing and nice waste of time Sad ..

and sorry for the rant and topic title Toungue .. ok, mybb's cool Toungue
Was you upgraded to the latest version?
hehe, yes it was 1.2.1 and as I said that was just a failed hacking attempt, or just someone wanted to scare my users by posting that crap.

oh yeah .... and I was downgraded to version 2004.11.14 today and that might be reason ?
So you're saying a user logged in and posted that? Confused
In simple words, I don't know what exactly it was, but there are two possibilities:

- A user registered at the forums and posted that topic saying this site is hacked.
- A bot was too smart to bypass the captcha and user email verification. [sounds unlikely]

But the forum isn't hacked, everything seems alright, it was just that topic and nothing else.
Maybe you should change the title of your thread? Gets people worked up thinking that you got hacked, when it was just some idiot that posted an image!!
I took the liberty of changing the thread name so people won't think MyBB has a active exploit.
bogus sounds good Toungue ...