MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is addthis safe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.addthis.com/blog/2010/11/12/d...XnKyNzV98E

I have it on wordpress and it's bloody marvelous. Alongside cackle, i have no one 'left out' from the site.

However I want to add in sharing on individual forum posts!

Just want to see what everyone says as I heard a month or more ago there were some facebook addons or plugins which were flawed.

Please advise.
It looks fine to me but you don't need a plugin. You can just edit the postbit template and add the code there.
Addthis slows down loading time for your client BUT is safe and very robust.
If you have content that people would share if they had all those options then be sure to use it.
If not... a post this FB or twitter link would do fine, it really just depends.. But rest assured.. addthis code snippets are safe to use.

edit:
fyi.. yea imo don't use that plugin.. the idea of a addthis plugin is excessive and just ridiculous as it limits your control. Just paste the code snippet where ever you want in your MyBB templates.
the only exception is if it offloaded all resources from it's slow CDN's to your own local server in the plugin. In other words if the plugins had all the addthis javascripts and assets in it for you to edit and customize (there's hundreds) then yea maybe it would be worth trying. But I doubt they would do that.
Thanks for the heads up guys and I figured it out since, the plugin doesn't work with the latest version btw so its useless anyways. Instead I did it manually;

Edit Postbit_classic (I use classic I hate the other style):

And in the same row where reply buttons are and the date on left I made these changes:

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
			<tr >
				<td align="left" ><span class="smalltext"><!-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->
<div class="addthis_toolbox addthis_default_style addthis_16x16_style">
<a class="addthis_button_facebook">
<a class="addthis_button_twitter"></a>
<a class="addthis_button_email"
<a class="addthis_button_google_plusone" g:plusone:annotation="none"></a>
<a class="addthis_button_more">
<a class="addthis_counter addthis_bubble_style"></a>
</div>
<script type="text/javascript">var addthis_config = {"data_track_addressbar":true};</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="//s7.addthis.com/js/300/addthis_widget.js#pubid=YOURID"></script>
<!-- AddThis Button END --></span></td>
				<td align="right">{$post['button_edit']}{$post['button_quickdelete']}{$post['button_quote']}{$post['button_multiquote']}{$post['button_report']}{$post['button_warn']}{$post['button_reply_pm']}{$post['button_replyall_pm']}{$post['button_forward_pm']}{$post['button_delete_pm']}</td>
			</tr>

Just place your addthis profile user ID in the YOURID spot.

I removed the align bottom in the table as the reply buttons and the date and the addthis buttons were not aligning. Looks better like this.

You can further customize the addthis buttons and add more or remove some... and customize the appearance (use different images)

by going to addthis.com and reading up on their customization API Smile