MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Global mybb registration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a noob I maybe express my idea here vaguely, but it would be cool, if mybb would have a global login cookies and registration system for all mybb based forums. You know, someone registers at one mybb community and can use this login and password at another mybb community, if it accepts global mybb accounts or if this account meets certain chosen criteria at this community.

And also it would be still a better social network than facebook.

I don`t want to speak for others, but will speak for myself: I hate to register for only a few questions. Not everyone are coders, not everyone are big music lovers, not everyone play games everyday, not everyone are bodybuilders, not everyone love cats or dogs or rats or people or anime or whatever. Why not to create something like this? I believe this is the future.
It's not possible. We'd need to maintain a huge network and unless you're willing to donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to support it it won't happen.
Sad. Maybe in the future you will find a new more effective way to make money.
Even if it was possible, what if you got hacked, or that forum got hacked?

You're going to need to change your password for 10+ forums ASAP. Not efficient nor secure.
You just described OpenID.

But Nathan is right on. To maintain a network that large would take a vast amount of server resources, because every authorization would have to come through your central server. That's a huge load.

It's not really possible for a free project such as MyBB to act as a provider for such a large network without some significant financial support.
(2013-04-27, 12:28 AM)Howto Wrote: [ -> ]Sad. Maybe in the future you will find a new more effective way to make money.

Please share you ideas because I don't know of many free and opensource organizations that have that kind of resources backing them.
>You're going to need to change your password for 10+ forums ASAP
No. Only one password.
>OpenID
I forgot about it. Yeah, something like this. Okay then.
>Please share you ideas
I have none here. Or. The only idea I got is mybb 2.0 premium for some cash. But, it too needs a lot of work and everything.

No, Premium will hardly work even if it will be done.

But it maybe could work in a couple with global registration. Well, I don`t know.
(2013-04-27, 01:39 AM)Howto Wrote: [ -> ]I have none here. Or. The only idea I got is mybb 2.0 premium for some cash. But, it too needs a lot of work and everything.

No, Premium will hardly work even if it will be done.

But it maybe could work in a couple with global registration. Well, I don`t know.

I don't think you understand the idea of Open Source. It's not just "free software", it's really a way of thought. It's the ideological belief that software should be free and completely accessible to everyone, zero barriers to new software or features.

Any pay-for-features program would therefore go against the open source initiative. And while I can't say that the MyBB group will never do this, I don't believe it is likely to happen as they are and always have been true to the open source beliefs, even publicizing their source code on Github not too long ago.

Now maybe they might offer a paid forum hosting site, where they'd host your forum for a small fee, if they needed funds. But with the low cost of a cheap web-host and the accessibility of installer scripts for MyBB (e.g. Fantastico, QuickInstall) it's not likely this would be a very successful venture anyways.
Quote:Any pay-for-features program would therefore go against the open source initiative. And while I can't say that the MyBB group will never do this, I don't believe it is likely to happen as they are and always have been true to the open source beliefs, even publicizing their source code on Github not too long ago.

No, but I can. MyBB will always be free and open source. Smile
(2013-04-27, 01:53 AM)HermXIV Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think you understand the idea of Open Source. It's not just "free software", it's really a way of thought. It's the ideological belief that software should be free and completely accessible to everyone, zero barriers to new software or features.

Any pay-for-features program would therefore go against the open source initiative. And while I can't say that the MyBB group will never do this, I don't believe it is likely to happen as they are and always have been true to the open source beliefs, even publicizing their source code on Github not too long ago.

Now maybe they might offer a paid forum hosting site, where they'd host your forum for a small fee, if they needed funds. But with the low cost of a cheap web-host and the accessibility of installer scripts for MyBB (e.g. Fantastico, QuickInstall) it's not likely this would be a very successful venture anyways.

I love open source, still have no offense for commercials if it is not as expensive as photoshop or sony vegas licenses, because I think a good work deserves to be paid.
And by the way, paying for stuff makes people think what they are buying and what they will do with it.
In the end, I only made a suggestion. If it can`t be done - fine like this.

Just playing with ideas: community admins could pay monthly for connect to mybb reg network.