MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What the correct way to backup and restore mybb?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone,

I been using mybb for a while, but am ashamed to say that till now I am unsure of the correct way of backing up.

Here what I did, correct me if any step is wrong.
I am trying to backup from my main site to a subdomain /forums.

1. backup all files and export the database from main site.
2. install a new mybb installation on /forums
3. drop all database in the /forums and import my main site database
4. delete all files in /forums except inc folder
5. import all files of main site into /forums except inc folder

Till here, when i access my site, it seem mess up.
I on a localhost testing btw.
(2013-04-27, 09:03 AM)oldgreat Wrote: [ -> ]1. backup all files and export the database from main site.
2. Import the database backup and upload all files from your backup
3. Update inc/config.php with the new database details
(2013-04-27, 09:11 AM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-27, 09:03 AM)oldgreat Wrote: [ -> ]1. backup all files and export the database from main site.
2. Import the database backup and upload all files from your backup

Hi stefanT , thank you for your reply.
Thanks for correcting me, I guess I went the Long way as I wanted config.php to be generated, as I don't know how to edit it.

Noted.
my restore is still unsuccessful, when I access , it"s a white screen with my content mess up, do I have to do anymore things?
You could also export your database, as an optional method, using phpMyAdmin.
(2013-04-27, 01:41 PM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]You could also export your database, as an optional method, using phpMyAdmin.

Hi Jimmy, thanks for your reply.
unfortunatly, that what I have done already.

My mybb restore is still unsuccessful, when I access , it"s a white screen with my content mess up, the loading at the bottom of the browser show my main site" waiting for main.com"
Can you post a screen of what happens? I can't get you exactly.
(2013-04-28, 07:35 AM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]Can you post a screen of what happens? I can't get you exactly.

Hi again, i have taken down my site and working on localhost, therefore i couldnt provide a link,

the thing is this, i am trying to backup and restore mybb site, and it wasnt successful,

1. backup all files and export the database from main site.
2. Import the database backup and upload all files from your backup to my new site

apparently, it doesnt work. when i access my site, it show the content like mess up, with no theme - a white background. login all these align to the left side.

when u access mybb site for example using firefox, below the browser , it will say "connected to mybb.com","waiting for mybb.com" etc
when I access my new site, it show "connected to my old website url"
(2013-04-28, 07:47 AM)oldgreat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-28, 07:35 AM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]Can you post a screen of what happens? I can't get you exactly.

apparently, it doesnt work. when i access my site, it show the content like mess up, with no theme - a white background. login all these align to the left side.

when u access mybb site for example using firefox, below the browser , it will say "connected to mybb.com","waiting for mybb.com" etc

Did you upload the database on a site with new URL? If that's it, then update inc/settings.php and update your Board URL & Cookie Path.
(2013-04-28, 07:56 AM)Jimmy. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-28, 07:47 AM)oldgreat Wrote: [ -> ]

Did you upload the database on a site with new URL? If that's it, then update inc/settings.php and update your Board URL & Cookie Path.

Hi again, yeah , i drop the existing database on the new site, upload my previous site database,

what to update at inc/settings.php? i only update the inc/config.php
update your Board URL & Cookie Path - login to the backend and change it at the setting page?
inc/config.php is used to update database user, host, name and password.

inc/settings.php has the option to update your Board URL and Cookie settings, if you changed your domain. And,you have to re-upload your theme and images.
Pages: 1 2