MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [INSTALLER] Remove Cookie Setting Fields
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,

I've been looking at some MyBB installer code recently and am working on a bit of some tweaks to it.

One of the things that I've been thinking about doing to make the process feel faster or cleaner was removing the cookie setting fields. It seems like it causes more trouble than it helps. I haven't been in the support section too much for a while, but it seems like more users mess up their forums with these fields than fix what would've been an issue with the auto-detection. So I would think that it'd be easier to help the ones where autodetect didn't work, rather than the million that change something they shouldn't, you know?

Anyone (official developers?) have objections or comments on this idea (correct use cases, etc.)?
I haven't seen much cookie problems after the installation. Mostly people fail to update it properly when moving the forum or similar things.
I could've sworn there were a fair amount of people who through that the auto-detect was wrong and then messed their settings up.

That aside, since the auto-detection is spot on in my experience (I am guilty of thinking that I am better than it and messing up localhost installs, by the way), are they necessary to keep?
If you don't understand the basics of cookies, then I'm sure if you should be trying to install forum software.

The defaults are fine enough anyway.

Edit: To be more constructive with my first statement, maybe have handy links to basic tutorials on cookies OR a message pops up explaining what those fields mean in more depth?
(2013-04-29, 03:27 AM)Jazza Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't understand the basics of cookies, then I'm sure if you should be trying to install forum software.

Edit: To be more constructive with my first statement, maybe have handy links to basic tutorials on cookies OR a message pops up explaining what those fields mean in more depth?

Alright. So we've determined that the defaults are great. But the question is whether or not to remove the fields and just hardcode the auto-detected values in. It'll make the form look a little cleaner too, IMO.
(2013-04-29, 05:41 AM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-04-29, 03:27 AM)Jazza Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't understand the basics of cookies, then I'm sure if you should be trying to install forum software.

Alright. So we've determined that the defaults are great. But the question is whether or not to remove the fields and just hardcode the auto-detected values in. It'll make the form look a little cleaner too, IMO.

What if the default values conflict with other MyBB installations or software installed? That's the reason you can edit them.

Maybe there can be an "advanced settings" area for these things if it's causing so much issue.
We do need to keep the cookie settings as part of the installation process. This allows administrators to tailor their setup from the beginning rather than having to modify settings once installed.

It would be rather frustrating to install the software and not being able to log in to change the settings.