MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is My VPS Enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been having issues with my message board with it being slow and with my server occasionally crashing. I contacted my web host's support staff and they said I was using too much memory and that was the cause of my performance issues, before trying to upsell me on a more expensive plan.

Needless to say I found their claims to be suspect. I was wondering if maybe some 3rd party could give me some insight if I really do need to consider upgrading or if they were just trying to milk more money out of me.

I am currently on HostV's VZ1 'Fully Managed' plan that advertises to have 512 MB dedicated RAM with 1536 MB 'burstable'.

I only really host 2 websites:
  • A 'single topic blog' that is powered by Wordpress and averages 100-150 uniques a day, with spikes up to 500 uniques when an article is picked up by Tumblr/Twitter.
  • Its accompanying MyBB powered message board with some 1000 registered members, 100~ active users and <20 concurrent users at any one time

I used to host more sites and I have slowly been moving them away to different hosts hoping to reduce my memory footprint to little success. Is 512mb really not enough for my blog and message board?

Right now I am paying $33/mo for my service, they want me to upgrade to a $66/mo plan that has double the resources. Does everything hear check out or is my host pulling a used car salesman on me?
$66/mo is pretty steep. I'm paying $15/mo for 1 Gb Dedicated RAM with 2 Gb burstable. Going to switch hosts soon though. Same price but more RAM. Smile
hi use this provider. http://www.vps.me

This is very cheap and reliable. and unquestionable reliability.

I'm not part of them. then do not tell me to work for them.
I'm just giving you the best vps, cheap and very reliable.

thank you.
You are paying a lot of money and that's not a very large amount of RAM. Don't trust burstable as a long term solution to your usage spikes, it isn't very reliable.

For about $40/month, KnownHost offers a managed VPS with double the memory. If you can handle the management on your own, you can get an even better deal.
(2013-05-02, 02:16 AM)ikhwanulfikri Wrote: [ -> ]hi use this provider. http://www.vps.me

This is very cheap and reliable. and unquestionable reliability.

I'm not part of them. then do not tell me to work for them.
I'm just giving you the best vps, cheap and very reliable.

thank you.

I honestly don't trust their prices. Getting 16GHz, 12GB RAM, etc., is a dedicated server, to say the least, and it should not be $100 a month.

Personally, I would recommend Linode if you want a VPS. Reasonable prices, unparalleled support, and a great community.
(2013-05-02, 02:50 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]You are paying a lot of money and that's not a very large amount of RAM. Don't trust burstable as a long term solution to your usage spikes, it isn't very reliable.

For about $40/month, KnownHost offers a managed VPS with double the memory. If you can handle the management on your own, you can get an even better deal.

I still did not know much about vps.

but according to what I saw there.
to pay only US$ 59.70 you can get a very perfect server specs like this
you can see it in the picture .. if it was just a hoax or simply to attract enthusiasts only.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=29179]

[attachment=29179]
(2013-05-02, 02:50 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]If you can handle the management on your own, you can get an even better deal.

Great sources: http://library.linode.com and http://www.cyberciti.biz/

(2013-05-02, 02:57 AM)ikhwanulfikri Wrote: [ -> ]I still did not know much about vps.

but according to what I saw there.
to pay only U.S. $ 59.70 you can get a very perfect server specs like this
you can see it in the picture .. if it was just a hoax or simply to attract enthusiasts only.
I really don't think those are prices that a business can survive on. They're selling dedicated servers, basically, for $60-100 a month. Either they'll be out of business shortly, or you won't get your promised resources. That's how I see it going.
I don't doubt vps.me has a viable business model, but I'm curious how crowded VPS are and if you are given dedicated CPU cores with the more expensive plans. Any site that runs on 6GB of memory is going to need some hefty CPU power as well.

Edit: Just clarifying that I'm commenting to ikhwanulfikri, not implying that the OP's website requires this plan.
Asperger's Network, a website which attracts a lot of visitors, runs happily on Windows (I kid you not, Server 2012), with 2.4GHz and 2.5GB RAM. You don't need 6GB RAM