MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Keep Alive ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

I'm using myBB for a couple weeks now. So far so good !! really enjoying learning all I can about it. Gret job, guys.

I'd like to make a little suggestion :

The "who's online" page is reloading regularly when it's kept displayed in browser and I love that "auto-refresh" feature.
My idea is to have the same "auto-refresh" feature on every page (At least, all the pages that don't involve text input, off course).
EDIT>Well, I just had some tests, and it appears that pages involving keyboard input (such as PM writing, new thread or post, thread view with quick reply enabled, even this very edit I'm typing, etc...) can be refreshed without input field to be blanked. Great <EDIT
That would help people still appear online, as soon as they still have a page of said forum displayed in their browser, even if they are not really active. Of course, the function should be user-switchable from user CP.
Regarding the frequency of the refresh, well, I doubt that users can get the forum's Cutt-off Time, so I'd let you guys decide, maybe something around 5 minutes...

What do you guys think ?
I like the idea however 5 minutes is abit too long as the likelyhood of anyone staying on the page for 5 mins is quite unlikely i would of thought.
Immersion Wrote:I like the idea however 5 minutes is abit too long as the likelyhood of anyone staying on the page for 5 mins is quite unlikely i would of thought.

hi,

so then if viewer leaves page before the 5 minutes to another forum page, she would then show activity and be considered as online . And if she just closes the page, then she would be online as long as the cut-off time period set for the forum
To me it sounds like a bandwidth hog, don't see the point to be honest. If this is something you want, you can add the code to the headerinclude template.
Christian Wrote:To me it sounds like a bandwidth hog, don't see the point to be honest. If this is something you want, you can add the code to the headerinclude template.

hi Christian,

You made a good point about bandwidth.
The point to me is to always appear as online on my board and get quick updates about what's going on without having to explicitly subscribe to every forum, etc ..

Anyway, thanx for the tip about editing templates. I'll have a go at it

EDIT>OK, just what I wanted. I'll give me some time to see if it really is a good idea Toungue <EDIT

Thanx
You can easily add a meta refresh tag with a 5 minute time set.
I'd hate the idea of my page refreshing every 5 minutes if I stay on there for an extended period of time >.>
I hate the idea of losing my new thread markers but I think it's a waste of bandwidth, and you shouldn't refresh at exactly 5 minutes (what happens if the user was writing a post, and it would get wiped out automatically when it is refreshed).
guys,

@ labrocca -> that's what I did, set to 14 minutes (1 minute less than my board's cut-off time)

@ denisTT -> I tested the refreshing whith Firefox 1.5.0.1, no problem of lost text when refreshing while typing a new post, a new PM, an edit, a quick reply, etc .. Page gets refreshed and input boxes keep the text that was typed in before the refresh. And yes, having up to date "new post' display and all was also what I wanted. But I guess that's just about the "poor" interactivity of web-based (disconnected) developpements.
Don't get me wrong guys, I really enjoy myBB. I'm just aware of certain limitations I agree to live with.

Keep up the good work !!

P.S. Any of you have news about HTTP 2 wich promised to be a connected protocol ?
I think it would be good if you could use Ajax, so that it's not the whole page that has to be reloaded. Wink
Pages: 1 2