MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Direct link to article via "post index number" (# n) goes wrong
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

With the current MyBB version (which is very nice, btw) I experience problems with direct links to the post index number of some articles. Sometimes the direct links don't work for posts, usually when they are located on other than the first thread page.

For example, with standard settings there are 10 posts per thread page. Now I go to a thread's page 2 and click the link on the right of the article, named Post: #11
Then the forum software jumps to another article.

I've tested a little bit and couldn't find what does cause this. It's not for all threads, "just" a few. Which makes it more difficult to focus the problem.

Is the forum's database out of sync? But all posts are there, and in "threaded mode" they all works fine, even those which don't work in "linear mode". (With don't work I mean: they're there, you can read them, but you just can't use the "Post: #n" direct link).

How could I find the cause?
Hi Eowyn

Do you have a link to some thread that exhibit this problem?
DennisTT Wrote:Do you have a link to some thread that exhibit this problem?
Hi Dennis!

Yes, I've got this link for example (not an English forum, though) which shows a thread taking three pages, in case the standard settings are being used, ie 10 posts per page:

On page 2, when you try to direct link to ...
Post #11 (translated to : "Beitrag: #11") on page 2 it jumps to #1
while with
Post #21 (translated to : "Beitrag: #21") on page 3 it jumps to #11

This now looks to be always 10 posts too early.

However, I've seen other threads where it jumped more randomly. IIRC these other threads have been ones which consist of joined threads by moderators. Unfortunately I didn't save links to these threads.
However the above mentioned example thread is a fresh one, ie all the articles have been inserted linearly and got pids in increasing order.

Btw. does MyBB rely on all the post's pids in a thread to be in increasing order? For example, if an moderator/admin manuelly changed the datestamp of one post inside a thread, MyBB sorts them according to the datestamp. Then the pid of this timestamped post could be lower than the following pid(s).
Just wondering do you have any draft or unapproved posts in that thread?
DennisTT Wrote:Just wondering do you have any draft or unapproved posts in that thread?
All posts are automatically approved in our forum. So I think there are no unapproved ones.
Personally I don't have got draft posts for that thread. Mayby the other poster? She's offline during the weekend however, how could I find that out via quering the Mysql-database, please?

P.S. Could I run some analyse tests on the forum (Admin-Cp, or maybe MySQL, ...) to see potential problems?

P.P.S. We recently upgraded from MyBB version 1.04 to the current MyBB version 1.2.1 (using MySQL 4.1.21). I'm not 100% sure but I think we didn't see these random jumps before. Did we corrupt anything during the upgrade process?