MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to upload and install webmin on VPS?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just pointing out why he doesn't have one from them most likely. And, it depends on the panel too. cPanel is way more resource intensive than say DA for example.
I installed webmin by watching videos on YouTube by webhostingtalk.

(2013-05-07, 02:36 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-06, 10:29 PM)Joker552 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh I picked CentOS 6.

Why would you choose such an advanced distro if you're new to Linux? I was also under the impression HostGator VPSes came with Plesk for free, why are you turning that down for Webmin?

I heard CentOS 6 was the best. I'm not sure, what would you guys recommend? And as Alex said, they don't offer Plesk for their smallest plans and I want to learn as well so I decided to take the hard route but when it comes to CentOS, I'm not sure. Also, I've seen a lot of people recommend Ubuntu, I don't know because I'm a bit new to these stuff.

(2013-05-07, 05:47 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Nothing wrong with learning to use webmin imho. Fairly simple features allow you to assist in server administration from a web interface. Plesk could be overkill and also you will need a license to run it. It's very nice if you don't have to be dependent on software like Plesk, Cpanel, or Directadmin. You will also likely learn more about system administration.

Thanks. I've always used Cpanel and I found it easy but can't always stay on one thing and refrain myself from learning new things Big Grin

(2013-05-07, 07:39 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-07, 07:47 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]The two smallest plans they offer don't even offer plesk or cPanel.

Yeah, but the two smallest plans are also too small for a panel unless your site is relatively inactive.

Do you mean to say that I need to upgrade because I don't have enough requirements or the plan offers less than what MyBB requires?
(2013-05-07, 09:40 PM)Joker552 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean to say that I need to upgrade because I don't have enough requirements or the plan offers less than what MyBB requires?

Use the "free -m" command to see how much free RAM you have, the top number in the "free" column is what you're looking at. If it's double-digit then you probably don't have enough, either upgrade or ditch the panel. Ubuntu without a panel really isn't difficult, especially with tasksel.

On the other hand, if you have 100mb+ free under normal traffic then go wild. Smile
I have this

[Image: 2Pxsy.png]
Ah, looks good. If you ever need to squeeze some more juice out of it though, there are plenty of Ubuntu tutorials for setting up a server panel-less. Smile
Pages: 1 2