MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Privacy concerns - Gravatar, Akismet, Policy...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<removed>
(2013-05-07, 02:23 PM)thebobo1 Wrote: [ -> ]- Some places on internet allow only gravatars for avatars Sad

I'm don't quite understand the concern with this.

(2013-05-07, 02:23 PM)thebobo1 Wrote: [ -> ]- Akismet is associated with wordpress, how does it check spam...

Akismet is owned by the same company as Wordpress. See: http://akismet.com/how/#gs1 for how it works. The Akismet plugin is being removed in 1.8 but can still be used like any other plugin.

(2013-05-07, 02:23 PM)thebobo1 Wrote: [ -> ]- Privacy Policy in mybb cannot be accessed from each page, it's only in help.

The simple answer to that is MyBB doesn't have a Privacy Policy by default.

(2013-05-07, 02:23 PM)thebobo1 Wrote: [ -> ]- there is also an unclear statements regarding mail "Hide your email from other members" - I have seen somewhere: "your email address is never shown publicly"

"Hide your email from other members" means other members can't send you an email. MyBB never reveals the email address of the member. The only way for someone to find out the address of a member is if they rely to the email.
Its up to the admin to run their site how they like. If they only want to support Gravatar then that is their prerogative. Hopefully there is an opt-out of Gravatar, If not, you do not need to visit the site.

I am not really familiar with Akismet so I have no comment there.

You can easily add a link to your privacy policy in the header or footer. The same with a TOS.

What is unclear about "Hide your email from others"? I do not recall seeing the "never shown publicly" statement in the forum itself as default text. Without understanding the confusion, we can not consider alternatives.
Just to backup the above; we have not directly integrated Gravatar in the sense that MyBB uses the user's email automatically to find an avatar. It is, instead, an option for the user to use a Gravatar if they wish to do so. Basically they have to opt in to use it.
<removed>
(2013-05-07, 02:58 PM)thebobo1 Wrote: [ -> ]Gravatar is new in 1.8 - If mybb will be simplified to have only gravatars, I'll be without avatar. (Gravatar is the only option I found on Github)

We have no intention of using Gravatar religiously. It's a replacement for the Avatar Gallery - nothing more.

(2013-05-07, 02:58 PM)thebobo1 Wrote: [ -> ]Akismet is not saying which info is sent.
Good it isn't included in 1.8. Smile

Whatever information the plugin sends to the server. Like Gravatar, it's optional.
<removed>
It doesn't say anything about the server, just the user's IP.
<removed>
That doesn't reveal vital information about the server, really.

Also, Askimet is owned by Wordpress, a very trusted open source company Smile
Pages: 1 2