MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New theme progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been making a new theme and have some decent amount of progress done. Progress is going fast, but I still have quite a lot left to do since just about every aspect of the forum is being customized.

Here's a screenshot of the showthread/postbit_classic:

http://i.imgur.com/d7olKCX.png

The username in both the navigation and in posts are dropdowns:

[Image: 30.png] [Image: 31.png] [Image: 32.png]

Offline:

[Image: 33.png]

And there's more on my blog, but that was from a couple of weeks ago and changes and improvements have been made since then.

Generally looking for feedback and what you like or dislike about the theme. Thanks!
It is great to see you growing as a designer all the time Tecca, some very nice small additions in this theme. The only thing I can find at this time is the post reply image on your blog, I would feel more comfortable if both the buttons below were the same size.
Looks very nice! I think the offline/online status should be visible at all times though.
"REPLY TO THIS THREAD" is a bit large, don't you think? I'd like to see designers take the XenForo approach to the postbit, using just text instead of buttons.
Theme looks awesome. Goodjob

(2013-05-11, 07:10 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Looks very nice! I think the offline/online status should be visible at all times though.

Same.
You can use something like this
[Image: 8d5406a3cddb43cb8f89ab3.png] A small green dot for online users, black for offline and red for "away" status.
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

(2013-05-11, 08:19 AM)Tindris Wrote: [ -> ]It is great to see you growing as a designer all the time Tecca, some very nice small additions in this theme. The only thing I can find at this time is the post reply image on your blog, I would feel more comfortable if both the buttons below were the same size.

Yeah, I'll probably make those the same size. Sometimes I'll add things and give it a day or two before I end up deciding to go back. If I still like it after a while, it ends up staying.

(2013-05-11, 07:10 PM)Jessie S. Wrote: [ -> ]Looks very nice! I think the offline/online status should be visible at all times though.

I'll consider adding it (I do like the example Alone warrior gave in the post above). My thoughts with this were "if a user is considering sending a message to someone, they only need to know if they're online the moment before they do so -- and that's more of a courtesy feature since forums aren't really a "live" discussion platform, so to speak."

(2013-05-11, 07:17 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]"REPLY TO THIS THREAD" is a bit large, don't you think? I'd like to see designers take the XenForo approach to the postbit, using just text instead of buttons.

It is fairly big because of the amount of text, yeah. I will likely cut it down to simply "Reply" and add a thread subscription button next to it for use with MyAlerts and the extra bundles that Shade developed.

EDIT: And for the text instead of buttons: Those are actually CSS buttons and I originally didn't append the border around them like that. I do like it both ways, so I'll see which I end up sticking with (button-look or fully text with no borders). I'll probably also only show those buttons/text when a user hovers over the post.

-----

I also have a very tiny update with the navigation and user dropdown:

http://i.imgur.com/h6AjuUY.png

The arrow in the dropdown will need to be aligned with the caret above it. I'm likely going to round the corners of certain elements such as all buttons, dropdowns, and avatars.

The "Home" link is going to use an edited version of MyBB's stock portal and is currently the site root of the forum (at least on my localhost for now). I may look into other portal alternatives, but I think the stock one has enough content to suffice if I use it along with Xthreads and turn it into an Articles section.
Wow this theme is amazing. I would love to purchase this theme for my forum.
Made some adjustments. Now that I know the niche I want to work with it on, it's a lot easier to develop:

http://www.teccanique.com/blog/12-hours-straight