MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Account Deletion / Ownership ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In reference to this thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-139109.html

What is the situation on having your account completely removed from a forum if you no longer want it. By law, can a forum owner/admin blankly refuse to have a users account removed even if they request to have it removed ? Does the forum or the user actually own the account once its created ?

Has anyone got any solid information on what an admin can and cannot do regarding user accounts and what sort of rights the account owner might have upon the creation of the account.

Please dont reply with your "Opinion", I want something solid on this topic as it may help others in the future.
Yes, they can if they've stated that fact in their terms of service/registration agreement. UK law at least (data protection act) states that companies/businesses etc must remove private data they store in any way must be removed/destroyed if said user requests they do so. If you agreed to terms saying that they owned the data though, then you're pretty stuck I believe.
(2013-05-12, 10:50 AM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]In reference to this thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-139109.html

What is the situation on having your account completely removed from a forum if you no longer want it. By law, can a forum owner/admin blankly refuse to have a users account removed even if they request to have it removed ? Does the forum or the user actually own the account once its created ?

Has anyone got any solid information on what an admin can and cannot do regarding user accounts and what sort of rights the account owner might have upon the creation of the account.

It really depends on law in certain country, if the site policy is "we are not deleting your account" there isn't much that you can do on that.Only with warrant (issued from the court) you can force site / forum owner to delete your account along with posts, personal information (email, password, ...) and other informations that where associated with account (since you have legal and binding decision for that -this is a legal practice in continental european legal systems).

And for the account you aren't "owning" it in full terms of that word (account info is stored in DB that is a property of third person).
Why are you making such a big deal out of an account on a forum?
Just stop going and leave it. Why would you want to remove your account anyway? The content you posted is still relevant to the forum. The account isn't yours, you are simply allowing yourself to be identified to the forum owner when posting. It's their database, their site. You cannot force them to remove your account, in the same way you can't force them to make you an admin. You are merely getting temporary access to their service.
(2013-05-12, 10:50 AM)Jambuster Wrote: [ -> ]Please dont reply with your "Opinion", I want something solid on this topic as it may help others in the future.

Can you guys read?

OP, simple answer is, it depends on the site's TOS and the laws in the country which the site falls under the jurisdiction of. If the TOS says that they own accounts and content posted, and that TOS doesn't conflict with the law, then that's how it is.

Sad truth is most admins never think about this kind of thing.
In some cases, if the owner of the site isn't very educated in law, you can send a Cease and Desist Take Down notice (make it have a bunch of legal terms, lol) and send it to them demanding the account be deleted and a lawyer will be contacted if not and they might remove it.

Funny story, I sent one to MyLife to take down stuff about me. They took it down, too. But I think it might have come back so oh well.