MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mods area thoughts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I love that MyBB has a dedicated area for people to submit and browse mods, but since actually using it for my own plugins, I have one issue.

Submitting and updating plugins is slow. I understand a real person has to check each upload before approving it, but having to wait more than a week just to fix one line of code doesn't make sense.

I think the mods site should either be linked to a third party website like GitHub or any uploads should be auto-approved and removed (and author banned) if they contain anything malicious.

Also an official way for people to report bugs instead of reporting them in reviews would be good. I hate how reviews reporting a tiny bug stay there forever, turning people off the download.

Cheers.
Please check the blog - we have posted information about the new mods site there.
(2013-05-15, 12:52 PM)Jazza Wrote: [ -> ]uploads should be auto-approved and removed (and author banned) if they contain anything malicious.

That's just asking for disaster.
(2013-05-15, 12:54 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Please check the blog - we have posted information about the new mods site there.

Oh neat. I will be eagerly awaiting these changes.

Maybe another solution to the manual approval system is to allow the community to approve them. It'd make things faster and take a load off of staff. After x community approvals, it is officially approved.
(2013-05-16, 03:31 AM)Jazza Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-15, 12:54 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Please check the blog - we have posted information about the new mods site there.

Oh neat. I will be eagerly awaiting these changes.

Maybe another solution to the manual approval system is to allow the community to approve them. It'd make things faster and take a load off of staff. After x community approvals, it is officially approved.

The community doesn't always know how to look for vulnerabilities and other such issues. It'd be a security risk we don't want to have. Trusted developers will be able to instantly publish their plugins but other than that MyBB staff will need to approve them.
(2013-05-16, 03:31 AM)Jazza Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe another solution to the manual approval system is to allow the community to approve them. It'd make things faster and take a load off of staff. After x community approvals, it is officially approved.

Well if you're confident apply for that new position who's main job is handling the mods/themes site. Wink.
It's mainly an accessibility issue. The new mods site is coupled with the community so we don't need to rely on a custom system.
(2013-05-16, 04:54 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]Trusted developers will be able to instantly publish their plugins but other than that MyBB staff will need to approve them.

Oh that sounds much better. Can't wait!