MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Paypal Dispute
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off I won't say who, since I don't want to make this my personal stage or anything. But I was recently paid to do some work for someone. I created a full main page PSD, and recieved 1/5th of the payment. They decided I wasn't working fast enough (Their choice, of course, but it's due to me having frequent internet issues), and ordered all the money back through paypal, rather than taking the PSD created for them. Is this legal, and if so, do I have any options to fight my case?
I don't think it's legal for them to take you - you already put in the time and he paid for the time you had put in. This is, of course, just my opinion.
Nvm, claim was solved in my favor. Guess Paypal is learning. xD
If you lost I would have just taken the design removed their name and made it a premium theme Toungue. It's not like they paid you or anything.
Paypal automatically denies any claims which involve digital content because in my opinion paypal is now Nazi-fied since shortly after they opened shop.
In a perfect world buyers remorse does happen often, so it's important to account for a percentage of your potential earnings to go to that.
The best route is what elance does.. hold your money in escrow until both parties are satisfied. There needs to be a paypal friendly $1 to $5 charge for use Escrow service for these kind of things. Anyhow... unless you two have written agreement or contract it may just be legal because he did not receive any "consideration" in legal terms for his money. You had yet to deliver on a non-enforce-able agreement. But guess what... paypal was on their own side.. and it just happened to benefit you this time, so congrats! if no one can figure it out by now... I loath paypal even though I use it.
I wonder how sites like Theme Forest deal with crap like this. This is by far the only biggest obstacle for any designer.
paypal protection doesn't cover digital goods. you were never in any danger.

webdev, there's too many finicky buyers on the internet to waste time on such a thing. give a deposit and if you're not happy with their work, cut your losses.
(2013-05-20, 01:14 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]paypal protection doesn't cover digital goods. you were never in any danger.

webdev, there's too many finicky buyers on the internet to waste time on such a thing. give a deposit and if you're not happy with their work, cut your losses.

Nice to know. Smile (Though sad if I plan on buying anything)
Next time you get a dispute for non-physical goods simply reply to the dispute saying something along the lines of "I was selling digital goods which isn't covered in the buyer protection agreement, can you close this dispute" and they will close the dispute.

Though it is sad for legit buyers who will end up out of money Sad.
(2013-05-20, 01:06 AM)Brobuster Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder how sites like Theme Forest deal with crap like this. This is by far the only biggest obstacle for any designer.

Split licensing if you're referring to licensing confusion but other than that theme forest is all residual income... make it first then rack in the money Smile

(2013-05-20, 01:14 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]paypal protection doesn't cover digital goods. you were never in any danger.

True but same could be said for developers... I've ran into my fair share of shady developers.. believe me. lol.

Infact I just had a bad experience with a developer from theme forest that I payed to customize a wp plugin for me and he scammed me (tried to at least) function I wanted and paid for wasn't even in the damn plugin. So I called paypal personally... if you're nice they seem to want to help and items not delivered as described might just be covered sometimes for services paid for in advanced. We'll see when paypal makes a decision in a couple weeks. Fingers crossed.. otherwise I have to go through my bank which is easier anyway but I have to go through the motions first.