MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I have dome something wrong while upgrading and I need to know how to get it undone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw that mybb security upgrade, 1.1.10 is available.
So, I followed the security upgrade and everything was going fine.
then I read that, you should change the files in the uploads folder and I came to the conclusion that I need to change all the files, meaning that
in the uploads folder of the upgrade file available to download, changedfiles_1610, there were some files that needed to be replaced.like 4 0r 5 files, that needed to be replaced.
what I did was, I thought that in the upgrade procedure, I need to upload the files that are available in the upgrade package, and delete everything else that was there before.
I hope I am making sense, if not, please post so that I can detail it further.
after some time, deleteing of lots of index.php or index.html files, because they were present already in the folders in public_html, but since they were not in the upgrade file I downloaded, I thought I need to get rid of them.
later, I realized that I made a mistake, so i downloaded mybb 1.6.10 and made a fresh install

now I attempted to restore the db
but I cant find the posts in my forum.

Points that I think should be important to elaborate
1) I made a new user for the db , to connect to the db since i forgot the password of the previous user I made for the db in phpmyadmin

2) I have not installed any plugins in the fresh install and I dont know if the problem is because of this. But I cant see any of my posts too.

3) I have a backup that I made through cpanel, and a backup that I made through mybb admin cp, what should I do to get my posts back.

4) I really need to get the posts back, and I have backups, but i dont know why it is not showing up.

(2013-05-18, 02:55 PM)testbear Wrote: [ -> ]I saw that mybb security upgrade, 1.1.10 is available.
So, I followed the security upgrade and everything was going fine.
then I read that, you should change the files in the uploads folder and I came to the conclusion that I need to change all the files, meaning that
in the uploads folder of the upgrade file available to download, changedfiles_1610, there were some files that needed to be replaced.like 4 0r 5 files, that needed to be replaced.
what I did was, I thought that in the upgrade procedure, I need to upload the files that are available in the upgrade package, and delete everything else that was there before.
I hope I am making sense, if not, please post so that I can detail it further.
after some time, deleteing of lots of index.php or index.html files, because they were present already in the folders in public_html, but since they were not in the upgrade file I downloaded, I thought I need to get rid of them.
later, I realized that I made a mistake, so i downloaded mybb 1.6.10 and made a fresh install

now I attempted to restore the db
but I cant find the posts in my forum.

Points that I think should be important to elaborate
1) I made a new user for the db , to connect to the db since i forgot the password of the previous user I made for the db in phpmyadmin

2) I have not installed any plugins in the fresh install and I dont know if the problem is because of this. But I cant see any of my posts too.

3) I have a backup that I made through cpanel, and a backup that I made through mybb admin cp, what should I do to get my posts back.

4) I really need to get the posts back, and I have backups, but i dont know why it is not showing up.

can I restore the db from mybb admin panel, maybe that way I can get the posts back
ok I see what you did it will take a alittle work but We can get you back online.

give us a link to your site.

If you can use your old database that you have on the server we can move on if not. You will need to use your backup and make a new database and upload the database from phpmyadmin.

You will upload the files for MyBB including all of your plugins and themes. that you were currently using.

You will need to navigate to http://domainname.com/install but you need to make sure that your going to the upgrade and not a fresh install.

If you need me to help you more on a private side let me know via private message and I can do this for you
can you just please elaborate it?
its a private forum for friends so cant post the link.

i have the backups
from mybb admin, and also from cpanel

ok, I will upload all the files of plugins that I was using.
but the posts are not showing up.
any fix for this?
Yes

Do you have the details to your old database?

Like the username and password?

Also On your desktop unzip your backup find home public_html inside that you will need to upload the inc/config.php and inc/setting.php to you inc folder on the server.

You can PM me a link to your forum, I just want to see if we can get you up and running.
(2013-05-18, 03:21 PM)Detrition Wrote: [ -> ]Yes

Do you have the details to your old database?

Like the username and password?

Also On your desktop unzip your backup find home public_html inside that you will need to upload the inc/config.php and inc/setting.php

i will elaborate what i have
1) i have the username of the db that i was using, but i dont have the password for it, so i created a new user for it and did the install from that username in the install

2) i have mybb backups from admin
3) backups form cpanel
If the orginal database is still in on the server you are ok if you deleted the user that was linked to the database you will have to edit the config.php to update the right username and password for user.

The inc/config.php and inc/settings.php are in your cpanel backups

If you unzip your cpanel backups you will find either public_html.
(2013-05-18, 03:26 PM)Detrition Wrote: [ -> ]If the orginal database is still in on the server you are ok if you deleted the user that was linked to the database you will have to edit the config.php to update the right username and password for user.

The inc/config.php and inc/settings.php are in your cpanel backups

If you unzip your cpanel backups you will find either public_html.

i will do it, and update you.
i can pm you? when i do all of that and post it here?
thanks for your help, really appreciate it
if you upload the config and setting files to you inc folder on your server, edit the config and you should see something when you go to the domain.

If you get an error let us know here what the error was and we will go on from there.
(2013-05-18, 03:38 PM)Detrition Wrote: [ -> ]if you upload the config and setting files to you inc folder on your server, edit the config and you should see something when you go to the domain.

If you get an error let us know here what the error was and we will go on from there.

thanks man

(2013-05-18, 03:39 PM)testbear Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-18, 03:38 PM)Detrition Wrote: [ -> ]if you upload the config and setting files to you inc folder on your server, edit the config and you should see something when you go to the domain.

thanks man

i imported the sql file found in my cpanel backup via phpmyadmin, and now I get the message that I cant access my forum and it needs to be upgraded.

thanks man

thanks man

i imported the sql file found in my cpanel backup via phpmyadmin, and now I get the message that I cant access my forum and it needs to be upgraded.
Hi Bud Smile

thanks
I restored the forum posts Smile
yay
I have the forum posts now Smile
I will do the necessary changes and will be up in two to three hours
thanks a ton for all your help
also, I would like to tell, in the config.php, the username was the one that I had specified while installing the mybb forum software, a fresh install.

I dint knew what to check in settings.php. but after your guidance and some googling, I was able to restore the forum.
you saved me man.
Smile