MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: commercially successful MyBB communities?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(2013-05-19, 03:20 PM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-19, 12:26 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-19, 06:59 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.tesof.com/ is owned by Curse Inc, though we won't be on MyBB for too much longer.

Awww, why is that Tecca? Moving to XenForo?
(2013-05-19, 01:49 PM)freedntalk Wrote: [ -> ]Teso fan site.... though it doesnt look as big as the above HF forum, looks nice. Any particular reasons it migrating from MyBB?

Mm, we're moving to Curse's in-house CMS because it'll make it more streamlined when we need to pull data directly from the game onto the site. MyBB doesn't have the functionality to do that (or at least not without a lot of work), so that's a big part of why it's being moved over. I'll miss using MyBB on TESOF, but it's a change that will make the site flourish.

Understood. Do what you gotta do to get the forum flowing. Wish you all the best in you future endeavors with your custom CMS.

(2013-05-19, 03:38 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-05-19, 03:20 PM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]Mm, we're moving to Curse's in-house CMS because it'll make it more streamlined when we need to pull data directly from the game onto the site. MyBB doesn't have the functionality to do that (or at least not without a lot of work), so that's a big part of why it's being moved over. I'll miss using MyBB on TESOF, but it's a change that will make the site flourish.

Its a total shame. TESOF is my FAVE MyBB forum. Have you asked anyone in development about this? If it was to go big board with the move to Curse they might help you out.

Does the development team consider these types of requests? Just curious to know.
Not the dev team, but plugin devs sometimes do.
(2013-05-19, 05:48 PM)Euan T Wrote: [ -> ]Not the dev team, but plugin devs sometimes do.

O.K thanks for the clarification.
(2013-05-19, 06:59 AM)Tecca Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.tesof.com/ is owned by Curse Inc, though we won't be on MyBB for too much longer.

It had so much potential, you could have made it big.

Just check skyrimforums.org

It was once on Mybb and then shifted to xF and grew instantly the moment Skyrim was launched. Your site already had the activity before, it would have skyrocketed the instant TESO would have been released.

---

Off topic: Generally speaking I do not like Curse or its sites, they seem to be obsessed with just money.
http://www.pavementsucks.com is a big board I sold for large chunk of change last year. Its all MyBB or custom plugins (except for the Coppermine gallery).
tesof.com looks like crap to me. It's more fluff than function. You can see they've done lots of custom stuff but it's imho terrible implementations. The avatars everywhere suck. They moved the "last post" link to a less desirable location. The site seems to load each page slowly. Front page is full of ads. I don't feel any continuity in layout from index to showthread pages.

And btw...HF is probably not only the most successful forum but if you added up the revenue from all MyBB forums and combine them..HF would still be much larger. There really isn't many high-end commercial forums running MyBB. Most run towards commercial software for the professional support options. I'm fortunate in that I really don't need any support.
(2013-05-20, 01:40 AM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.pavementsucks.com is a big board I sold for large chunk of change last year. Its all MyBB or custom plugins (except for the Coppermine gallery).

It sure looks like a huge site. How's the user activity after you sold it? "New Posts" shows one new thread for today.
the economy and high fuel prices has greatly impacted my niche unfortunately. It is a very expensive hobby. some sites are thriving still but its often with folks with a lot of disposable income still or they are professional/sponsored drivers. "regular folks" are struggling.

HF is definitely huge. I don't care for the content, nor the theme of it, but you must admit is a a huge site with huge activity.
(2013-05-20, 01:20 AM)Brobuster Wrote: [ -> ]It had so much potential, you could have made it big.

Just check skyrimforums.org

It was once on Mybb and then shifted to xF and grew instantly the moment Skyrim was launched. Your site already had the activity before, it would have skyrocketed the instant TESO would have been released.

It still has potential and it will only be growing from here. I can see how the software change isn't desirable, but the upsides far outweigh the downsides, in my opinion. I'm excited to continue working on TESOF on whatever software the site lands on.

(2013-05-20, 01:49 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]tesof.com looks like crap to me.

I can see how you'd think that.
(2013-05-20, 01:49 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Most run towards commercial software for the professional support options. I'm fortunate in that I really don't need any support.

I don't think that is why most leave at all personally.
Pages: 1 2 3 4