MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question about backup and restore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am a total noob here, so please be patient with me. Big Grin

I have messed up the codes in my template on multiple occasions, some of the codes were not my design, so I am unfamiliar and totally incapable of restore them manually or even fix the current problems after I messed things up. In the past, I had resorted to full restore by upload every file from my full site backup. Although it fixed the problems but it also rolled everything (ex: threads, posts) back which was not good.

I am wondering, how can I restore template codes without messing with anything else?

I have tried to ask this question in the past but unable to find the answer I need.

Right now I have done two different ways of creating backup files.
1. I use the backup wizard in cpanel (provided by Hostgator) to do full site backup.
2. I have used the MyBB admin panel tool called "Database Backup" under "Tools and Maintenance".

I am still not sure which is the correct way to back up the template/theme. When I choose to use the method #2, I am not really sure what does 'data' and 'structure' mean. Does data mean the data of posts, threads, etc.? Does the 'structure' mean the theme codes?

What is the most efficient way to back up just the theme/template? And how to restore/roll back just the template/theme codes?

Just yesterday, I have accidentally deleted half page of codes in my header (not sure how it happened...after saved totally unrelated minor changes, the codes were just missing), and since I can't duplicate/recreate it, I have to try to restore the template codes from a full site backup I created just a day earlier by using method #1. I am unable to find the exactly file I need for it, and I wasn't able to get a good answer for it. I attempted to upload every file in public_html through CoreFTP to replace the ones I have on the server, and it did not roll it back somehow. Just which file was it holding the template?

I am also looking at a much older backup I created from method #2. I have created 3 backups that day, one for Data, one for Structure, one for Data and Structure. They are all SQL files. I wonder how I can make use of them to restore my template only?

I know I am probably way off the track as far as doing backups and restore go. Please point the right direction for a newbie! Thank you very much! Blush
P.S. I did use search function on this forum, and none of the threads answer the exact same questions.
Nobody knows? Confused
(2013-05-24, 10:52 AM)Ram8349 Wrote: [ -> ]Nobody knows? Confused

you can export the theme in the admin cp and if you mess up just reinport the old one