MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Banning IP's via list.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I would like to to know if it is possible to ban IP's using a list that I can get from StopFourmSpam. The list comes in different formats and covers a lot of abusive IP's.

Thanks,
- Rich -

Hi,

Just to clarify I'm open to suggestions, even if it means upgrading my hosting account to accommodate it.

Additionally is this the best strategy to reduce cpu load and resource use by spammers and hackers. I use the Stop Forum Spam and Fassim Anti Spam (Fassim is cool) plugins which work well but don't do much to stop resource use.

Thanks,
- Rich -
Ues your IP deny manager in cPanel or the equivalent tool on your hosting account.
Hi,

It's hard and tedious entering them one at a time with IP deny or equivalent. I was hoping for a way to include a whole list all at once. Wink

- Rich -
you can try using this method
Hi,

That looks just about right.

You da'man,
- Rich -
(2013-05-24, 11:20 AM)Vidiot_X Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

It's hard and tedious entering them one at a time with IP deny or equivalent. I was hoping for a way to include a whole list all at once. Wink

- Rich -

Your IP deny manager is just a user friendly way of adding them to your htaccess file, add them manually to your htaccess file if you want to add bulk entries.
Hi,

That is true and I may do that as well. Stop Forum Spam has lists in CSV format which works well with .m.'s link even if I have to write a little app to convert/generate it into SQL format as suggested. I'm a newbie to all of this and I'm kind of forced into managing my site.

I'll look into how to change the .htaccess file. As I understand it you can also block whole countries like China and Russia using that file which would be nice even if it's based on ranges.

- Rich -
^ htaccess block country ips --> this might be helpful.
Hi,

That is slick. Very nice. Big Grin

Thanks,
- Rich -

Hi,

Thanks .m. , that is just to easy to do. Smile Goodbye China.

Thanks,
- Rich -

Hi,

When I save the .htaccess does it have to be encoded a certain way or is a text file from notepad OK? I'm having trouble with IP Deny appending the last IP in .htaccess with "Deny" so the last IP range in the list looks like "199.59.240.0/22deny" every time I add a new IP with IP Deny.

Should this be UTF-8 instead of ANSI?

Thanks,

Never mind.

I closed out the browser and re-logged in and it's working. Weird problem though.

- Rich -

Hi,

I can already see a difference in resource load to the server by blocking China, Russia and Ukraine.

Thanks for all the help!

- Rich -