MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My server keeps getting bloked by email providers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I run 3 forums on a dedicated server and I have noticed that several email providers are viewing the multiple forum notifications as spam and blocking my server. I have to keep after my host to contact each provider and request de-listing but it just happens again after a few weeks! What can I do to prevent this? Is anyone else having this issue?

Right now it is happening with AT&T and Verizon. New members can't even get their email validations! I need this to stop! Confused
There are some keywords often used in SPAM, like "vigara" - maybe there is something like that in your gara-ge.
Users can report mail notification as SPAM, if they don't have a quick option to stop it.
first off, make sure your RDNS is correct, set a SFP record and perhaps a DKIM as well. since you are on dedicated, use a separate IP for each domain and have the mail server send mail from the domain's IP.

be sure to edit any subscription based emails (notifications, etc) with an opt-out notice that links to usercp with note about "receive emails from admins" option or the "subscriptions" list.
(2013-05-25, 10:17 AM)RocketFoot Wrote: [ -> ]I run 3 forums on a dedicated server and I have noticed that several email providers are viewing the multiple forum notifications as spam and blocking my server. I have to keep after my host to contact each provider and request de-listing but it just happens again after a few weeks! What can I do to prevent this? Is anyone else having this issue?

Right now it is happening with AT&T and Verizon. New members can't even get their email validations! I need this to stop! Confused

Do you run the plugin My Alerts?
@labrocca just wondering, would his using MyAlerts be a problem? It doesn't send any emails in it's current state at all.
Quote:@labrocca just wondering, would his using MyAlerts be a problem? It doesn't send any emails in it's current state at all.

So it doesn't do any PM's? Say like when you get mentioned in a post/thread? Because users might have email notification on when a PM arrives. In any case outgoing emails should be monitored and I try to prune and limit things like forum notifications and such. No Big Board should allow forum notification that on every new thread an email or PM is sent.

The current notification system of MyBB has very few checks or settings to prevent severe abuse.

Someone can sign up spam accounts and then subscribe to every forum. Do that from 100 accounts and on a big board with say...1000 new threads per day and now you've just sent out 10,000 emails. You'll easily get flagged for spam.

MyBB has nothing to stop that in settings and no monitoring tools either. Unless you build something custom or go direct into MySQL you won't even have a clue about the problem.

I personally don't complain too much about this because I've made custom changes. I don't even allow forum subscribing and I have limits to thread subscriptions to upgraded members only.

This SHOULD be a group,forum, and site permission though for "can subscribe".

Hopefully I'm not too off-topic but being blocked by mail ISP's can cripple a site. I've managed to lift all blocks but you do have to wait and go through hoops to get them lifted. And to stay off spam block list you have to be diligent and monitor what's going on.
Nope, no PMs or emails or anything are sent by MyAlerts at all - that's pretty much what it aims to prevent. I've considered adding options for a weekly notification digest type feature, but haven't yet gotten around to it.

I definitely think we should provide more tools to control mailing. It can take up quite a few resources too.
No MyAlerts...

So far, I have been emailing ISP's to lift any bans and added SFP records to my IP's so hopefully that will help! Still working on some other ideas with my host.
Please setup DKIM for the domain - if you are really concerned about mass mailing from your forum, you can check out mailjet mail service provider or Amazon SES and you can setup mailing from their service