MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB robot.txt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys could you tell me please how to setup mybb robot.txt for the very best SEO
Thanks very much.
Google SEO plugin has a best sample robots.txt file. you can use that by removing /MyBB/ from the file content.
(2013-05-30, 07:34 PM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]Google SEO plugin has a best sample robots.txt file. you can use that by removing /MyBB/ from the file content.

Hi thanks very much. I have Google SEO plugin installed but don't have robot.txt just sitemap and redirectsHuh
you can use below content for robots.txt (upload it to MyBB files server root folder)
User-Agent: *
Disallow: captcha.php
Disallow: editpost.php
Disallow: misc.php
Disallow: modcp.php
Disallow: moderation.php
Disallow: newreply.php
Disallow: newthread.php
Disallow: online.php
Disallow: printthread.php
Disallow: private.php
Disallow: ratethread.php
Disallow: report.php
Disallow: reputation.php
Disallow: search.php
Disallow: sendthread.php
Disallow: task.php
Disallow: usercp.php
Disallow: usercp2.php
Disallow: calendar.php
Disallow: *action=emailuser*
Disallow: *action=nextnewest*
Disallow: *action=nextoldest*
Disallow: *year=*
Disallow: *action=weekview*
Disallow: *sort=*
Disallow: *order=*
Disallow: *mode=*
Disallow: *datecut=*
Allow: /
I pretty much wouldn't recommend disallowing search.php, Google (as Matt Cutt said in one of his videos) might try to fill out your search form and perform a search in order to see what results it might get, and this could help relevant topics on your board rank better, I know it's just a tiny thing, but it might be really helpful for large boards.

(2013-05-31, 02:06 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]you can use below content for robots.txt (upload it to MyBB files server root folder)
User-Agent: *
Disallow: captcha.php
Disallow: editpost.php
Disallow: misc.php
Disallow: modcp.php
Disallow: moderation.php
Disallow: newreply.php
Disallow: newthread.php
Disallow: online.php
Disallow: printthread.php
Disallow: private.php
Disallow: ratethread.php
Disallow: report.php
Disallow: reputation.php
Disallow: search.php
Disallow: sendthread.php
Disallow: task.php
Disallow: usercp.php
Disallow: usercp2.php
Disallow: calendar.php
Disallow: *action=emailuser*
Disallow: *year=*
Disallow: *action=weekview*
Disallow: *sort=*
Disallow: *order=*
Disallow: *mode=*
Disallow: *datecut=*
Allow: /
(2013-06-02, 06:52 PM)Time_to_start Wrote: [ -> ]I pretty much wouldn't recommend disallowing search.php

search.php is just as bad as calendar.php, they procude an infinite amount of URLs, none of which are the least of interest to Google. There are sites where the search may be important, sites which do not provide content unless you search for it. But this is not the case for forums where all content is available directly.
(2013-06-02, 09:36 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-02, 06:52 PM)Time_to_start Wrote: [ -> ]I pretty much wouldn't recommend disallowing search.php

search.php is just as bad as calendar.php, they procude an infinite amount of URLs, none of which are the least of interest to Google. There are sites where the search may be important, sites which do not provide content unless you search for it. But this is not the case for forums where all content is available directly.

So how can i use the file robot.txt with your plugin(Google SEO)?
I simply upload it to the Forum's root folder????
Thanks
^ in general, robots.txt file should be used at the top most level folder of public view
that is, if your forum is located in a sub-folder then robots.txt file should be at its higher level folder

note: files path should be changed depending on MyBB forum's location.
Google SEO plugin includes a sample robots.txt file and it has MyBB forum path as /MyBB
(2013-10-22, 05:52 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]^ in general, robots.txt file should be used at the top most level folder of public view
that is, if your forum is located in a sub-folder then robots.txt file should be at its higher level folder

note: files path should be changed depending on MyBB forum's location.
Google SEO plugin includes a sample robots.txt file and it has MyBB forum path as /MyBB

Thank you very much!
Do not place important folder (like admin folder special if you use HoneyPot Mod ) in robots.txt because it is visible online so use .htacess to block bots like this http://community.mybb.com/thread-146694.html

sry for my english
Pages: 1 2