MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A must-have core features for MyBB 2.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

This is only reflecting my own point of view, in no way I'm saying that you guys should imperatively have them or anything like that.

1. If you guys have been following Matt Cutts (from Google Search Team), he's been talking so much about SEO lately, and how it's all that matters in 2013 and above for search engines (at least Google). A rich content website fully optimized for search engines + well linked to the Social Media is what would rank high. So I guess that MyBB should look deeper into that matter. And maybe add the Google SEO plugin as a core feature? The "share on social media" could be left as a plugin.

A user-friendly and se-friendly links and content counts much. For example thread-103940.html isn't as appealing as Thread-Javascript.

2. I'm not gonna go over the WYSIWYG editor because you've repeatedly said it's going to be included so cool Rolleyes Though maybe a feature that allows adding one's own MyCode without having to modify the code?

3. Alerts and notifications, disabled by default, OK bare with me please before you say "No", I know you are thinking "We are not building a Social Media, we're building a Forum Software", but you've all published stuff at least once in your life on a forum, and didn't know later if someone quoted you or replied to what you said. It happened to me tons of times, I would just like it to know when someone replies to my post, that's all I'm asking. The difference between it being a plugin and a core feature, is everything. Core feature means it's officially supported and is a part of what you get when you download the package.

You guys know better that on large or small forums, it would feel more alive if you can keep track of everything, without having to subscribe to everything you post, and if disabled, large forums won't be hurt at all.

4. Spoiler? Isn't it cool? Consider it? Blush

5. A mobile optimized theme? MyBBGM.com is so cool for that and it would be a great core feature I guess.

Thank you for reading Shy
1) SEF URLs are not important from an SEO perspective any more. Even Google has said so. Now there is something to say about the UI/UX benefots from it, but from a purely SEO standpoint, they are not required.

2) you can already create your own MyCode via the ACP without any core edits.

3) While I would prefer to have something like MyAlerts as core feature, I can not recall what the official stance on that was for 2.0

4) There are several spoiler plugins and MyCodes already. Not really a core feature, should stay MyCode or plugin

5) Not sure if there are plans for MyBBGM to get ported to 2.0 but I believe we are only aiming to have a single default theme. It may be responsive, but I have not been following the roadmap for that area.
1. The default SEF urls are fine at the moment. The only suggestion I would accept on this front would possibly be: forum-name/thread-name/thread-id/page-no i.e. mybb-2-0-forums/mybb-2-0-suggestions-and-feedback/a-must-have-core-features-for-mybb-2-0/140312
I only leave the thread id in there because you can query that just like thread-140312.html except the url looks nicer to users.
For some reason I disagree. thread-123.html is a permenant link and will never change where as Thread-One-Two-Three can be changed by moderators and the owner. I know that if a thread is renamed the old link still works and gets the right thread.

2. I completely agree adding buttons to the editor through the Admin CP would be great. If it can come before 2.0 even better Smile

3. MyAlerts is a good feature, I agree that sometime your quotes can get lost and you never reply.

4. No need for this, you want it; add it, simple as. Not needed, its just a MyCode

5. A mobile theme like MyBB Go Mobile included by defaul would be good (only if the default design isn't responsive already).
(2013-06-02, 05:25 PM)Time_to_start Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone,

This is only reflecting my own point of view, in no way I'm saying that you guys should imperatively have them or anything like that.

1. If you guys have been following Matt Cutts (from Google Search Team), he's been talking so much about SEO lately, and how it's all that matters in 2013 and above for search engines (at least Google). A rich content website fully optimized for search engines + well linked to the Social Media is what would rank high. So I guess that MyBB should look deeper into that matter. And maybe add the Google SEO plugin as a core feature? The "share on social media" could be left as a plugin.

A user-friendly and se-friendly links and content counts much. For example thread-103940.html isn't as appealing as Thread-Javascript.

2. I'm not gonna go over the WYSIWYG editor because you've repeatedly said it's going to be included so cool Rolleyes Though maybe a feature that allows adding one's own MyCode without having to modify the code?

3. Alerts and notifications, disabled by default, OK bare with me please before you say "No", I know you are thinking "We are not building a Social Media, we're building a Forum Software", but you've all published stuff at least once in your life on a forum, and didn't know later if someone quoted you or replied to what you said. It happened to me tons of times, I would just like it to know when someone replies to my post, that's all I'm asking. The difference between it being a plugin and a core feature, is everything. Core feature means it's officially supported and is a part of what you get when you download the package.

You guys know better that on large or small forums, it would feel more alive if you can keep track of everything, without having to subscribe to everything you post, and if disabled, large forums won't be hurt at all.

4. Spoiler? Isn't it cool? Consider it? Blush

5. A mobile optimized theme? MyBBGM.com is so cool for that and it would be a great core feature I guess.

Thank you for reading Shy

1. Some sort of SEO Package included would be very nice, imho.
2. I think you mean a feature to add a MyCode to the editor without code edits? If so, I'm behind that 100%.
3. I agree wholeheartedly. I currently use Thread Subscriptions to keep track of threads I participate in and want updates on, which are usually the ones I would receive Alerts for.
4. Not by default, I think. It's easy enough to create for a MyCode, but nested spoilers (which I don't really get anyway) often don't work. Speaking of which, the default MyCodes should really be added through the Custom MyCode module, it would make for much easier customization (make outgoing links nofollow, internal dofollow, switch out <strong> for classes (and vice versa), add classes to images, etc.)
5. I think 2.0's theme will be responsive, but don't quote me on that.
I wouldn't think that it would be too hard to add the functionality to add buttons straight into the editor. If a column was added to the MyCodes table (editor_autoinsert -- BOOL) then we could query, the JS could get that data from an XMLHttpRequest, create an object for each button. If an icon is set, use it, else use a specified "friendly" name on the button.

But I could be entirely wrong.
Point number one shows some ignorance (sorry if that's too blunt). SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. SEO is constantly evolving to give your site a better ranking on search engines. If you build your site in a fashion that is optimized for a search engine to parse it, of course you will get better results. SEF stands for Search Engine Friendly. SEF URLs have session data stripped out so the same page isn't crawled with not-quite-the-same URLs.

This is the twenty-first century, so our fake URLs should not have to end in a type identifier; browsers should rely on the Content-type HTTP header instead of what they assume to be a file extension.

I generally like having the resource type (thread, profile, etc) and id present in the URL with at least a partial title thrown in for UX. When parsing URLs, MyBB should ignore the title portion. This makes for relatively easy entries in .htaccess.
(2013-06-02, 07:43 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]4) There are several spoiler plugins and MyCodes already. Not really a core feature, should stay MyCode or plugin

Sorry, but spoiler tags are definitely used more often and by more users than PHP tags, which are core. Spoiler tags should definitely part of the core MyCode installation.
Yeah oh gosh I didn't explain myself well, I totally mean adding one's MyCode into the text editor without having to go into the javascript file. Like :

"MyCode title"
Spoiler

"MyCode regex"
\[spoiler\=(.*)\](.*)\[\/spoiler\]

"MyCode replacement"
<div>....

"Add to message editor"
[x] Yes
[ ] No

"MyCode image URL (for the message editor, max 24x24)"
[ ]

[SUBMIT]

(2013-06-02, 10:50 PM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]2. I think you mean a feature to add a MyCode to the editor without code edits? If so, I'm behind that 100%.

To be honest I totally removed the PHP tag. Those who want a syntax highlighter would probably need more than just PHP, and those who don't would find it completely useless.
(2013-06-03, 07:13 PM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
(2013-06-02, 07:43 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]4) There are several spoiler plugins and MyCodes already. Not really a core feature, should stay MyCode or plugin

Sorry, but spoiler tags are definitely used more often and by more users than PHP tags, which are core. Spoiler tags should definitely part of the core MyCode installation.