MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions +Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Questions.

1.Does mybb use a ton of resources? as the reason why im thinking of switching to MyBB is because IPB uses to much of my servers resources causing my site to be slow and my site isnt that big at all.

2.When do guys estimate a new version of Mybb be out?

3.You MyBB dev's wont be going anywhere soon right? such as releasing 2.0 then like 3 years later retiring or something?

4.What are some amazing apps/add ons that would help my mybb board out such as faster loading and more.

Support:
Do you guys have any converters for Mybb that convert from IPB 3.4 to MyBB? if not when or at all will you guys make them?
what forum software do you recommend to switch to before mybb and to lose not much data.

Random Questions:
1.How do you Dev's of MyBB keep the site up and still work on Mybb?
I see you guys accept donations but you guys probably dont get much so how do you guys stay afloat? If you guys put adsense ads on here you would make some hefty moneyToungue im just curies feel free to ignore this.
1. Not at all. MyBB is quite a lightweight system. Smile

2. We release a new version of MyBB every few months (bug fixes releases) and a minor version every 2-3 years. MyBB 1.8 is the next minor release and 2.0 is the next major release which is in planning stages. 1.8 is our current priority.

3. We've been around over 10 years, I don't see us going anywhere. Smile

4. There are a few thousand plugins available, but it's up to you what your forum needs. Generally less plugins means a faster load time but it depends on what work the plugin does.

Quote:Support:
Do you guys have any converters for Mybb that convert from IPB 3.4 to MyBB? if not when or at all will you guys make them?
what forum software do you recommend to switch to before mybb and to lose not much data.

We currently do not have an official merge module for IPB 3. We only have one developer for the merge system but thanks for letting us know there's some demand for it. Hopefully we'll be able to add some more modules in the near future. The Merge project has been slightly neglected as we're all volunteers but we understand it still needs some love.

There's likely to be other forum software, phpBB perhaps, which can allow you to convert from IPB and then convert to MyBB.

Quote:1.How do you Dev's of MyBB keep the site up and still work on Mybb?
I see you guys accept donations but you guys probably dont get much so how do you guys stay afloat? If you guys put adsense ads on here you would make some hefty moneyToungue im just curies feel free to ignore this.

We care a lot about the project and open source software. That's what's keeping the project alive. We haven't actually accepted donations for a few years now, but money isn't an issue. Chris Boulton, our project manager and founder of MyBB, pays for the server costs. We're 100% non profit. Smile
(2013-06-04, 08:14 AM).m. Wrote: [ -> ]IPB to MyBB --> see http://community.mybb.com/thread-138553-...#pid999540

What does it convert? as i need everything possible to be converted.

(2013-06-04, 08:20 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]1. Not at all. MyBB is quite a lightweight system. Smile

2. We release a new version of MyBB every few months (bug fixes releases) and a minor version every 2-3 years. MyBB 1.8 is the next minor release and 2.0 is the next major release which is in planning stages. 1.8 is our current priority.

3. We've been around over 10 years, I don't see us going anywhere. Smile

4. There are a few thousand plugins available, but it's up to you what your forum needs. Generally less plugins means a faster load time but it depends on what work the plugin does.

Quote:Support:

We currently do not have an official merge module for IPB 3. We only have one developer for the merge system but thanks for letting us know there's some demand for it. Hopefully we'll be able to add some more modules in the near future. The Merge project has been slightly neglected as we're all volunteers but we understand it still needs some love.

There's likely to be other forum software, phpBB perhaps, which can allow you to convert from IPB and then convert to MyBB.

Quote:1.How do you Dev's of MyBB keep the site up and still work on Mybb?

We care a lot about the project and open source software. That's what's keeping the project alive. We haven't actually accepted donations for a few years now, but money isn't an issue. Chris Boulton, our project manager and founder of MyBB, pays for the server costs. We're 100% non profit. Smile

thanks for your answers glad to hear you wont be going anywhere.
^ you can try the conversion on a local test board and test its working.