MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Popups instead of multiple pages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can you make mybb core interact more with jquery. Example: when clicking on a username, and you dont have permission to view it. It will open up a JQ popup to show the info, instead of loading a new page. Doing this in many places will increase speed and usability aswell. One cant just write this in the template, because it requires directly referencing files like forumdisplay.php and showthread.php. The only way to get this right is to edit core files to work with jquery. So when a page is requested, the info needed in the popup is sent aswell.
We don't have any plans to implement hovercards in to 1.8. I'm not sure if this would increase speed. You'd either fetch all the data which may be needed - bad design 101 - or fetch it on demand via AJAX which might not be any faster than clicking on the username. Of course it depends on what you're looking to show...

With that said, I don't think usernames are a good example here. The most commonly needed information about a user is available on the postbit.
You could do this manually using template conditionals.
Well not actually loading the full page. Just small warning popups like " You're not allowed to view this profile " kinda text. Mybb usually opens up a new page to show the warning message.
Ah, that's different. I misread your initial suggestion. For something like that you'd need to send an AJAX request, but to make it consistent it would need to be applied to every object which has permissions. It would be a lot of extra markup and changes to the codebase just to support a little popup.
Yip thats what i meant. Thanks Nathan , now i know its atleast possible. If its going to be alot of work as you say, then maybe its not worth the effort. Its small but will work nicely Smile
That's something I also really wish was there.
Could a plugin do it?