MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm Polish and my English language is very very bad, so...

I would like see the new search in MyBB 1.8. Search should be the same as in IPB. One search for all (forums, members, posts, threads).
IMO the search algorithms should be rewritten, most of the time I have to google things for threads instead of using the inhouse function. But such a major change wouldn't be until 2.0 at least.
(2013-06-10, 06:53 AM)Seabody Wrote: [ -> ]IMO the search algorithms should be rewritten, most of the time I have to google things for threads instead of using the inhouse function.

100% agree. I never find what I need by the search function.
And the team wonders why people don't search... it doesn't work. But Google is accessible, fair enough.
agreed.

the search is TERRIBLE.
Neither suggestions are likely to happen in 1.8. Of course, if you find a specific area of the search which isn't working correctly you can report it as a bug. Rewriting (and redesigning) the search system would be too time consuming.
if it's currently such a waste, then maybe consider removing it...
save space, save function calls, save a source of abuse.

re-add it after it's revamped.

OR
maybe put in it's place a search term txt box
with radio buttons for selecting a search engine to use
and have it auto input the site url and search terms.

OR (which I'd opt for)
even make the above optional during install
so it's not even on the site, if opted out of

(2013-07-10, 12:19 AM)miscbyproduct Wrote: [ -> ]if it's currently such a waste, then maybe consider removing it...

OR

OR (which I'd opt for)

Why would we remove a feature which works just fine? We're not going to remove such an important part of the software without a better reason than some people can't use it properly.
(2013-07-10, 12:19 AM)miscbyproduct Wrote: [ -> ]if it's currently such a waste, then maybe consider removing it...

OR

OR (which I'd opt for)

Sure, the search feature isn't advanced enough to find something you really need and gives you inaccurate results but removing it completely is the stupidest thing to do because without it you can't even find the simple things.
^ Right there with ya.
(2013-07-10, 03:38 AM)iHydra Wrote: [ -> ]

OR

OR (which I'd opt for)

Sure, the search feature isn't advanced enough to find something you really need and gives you inaccurate results but removing it completely is the stupidest thing to do because without it you can't even find the simple things.

indeed.

even though it doesn't work all that well, I'd still want the functionality on my site.