MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My First Post / Suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On my first post I want to thank all that have made and contributed to mybb.

I have been been using vbulletin for years and really like the product....but it costs to much for my hobby sites and my for profit sites don't make alot of profit...lol

I have recently switched my sports forum to SMF.... that seemed to be a really great product.....However I have learned quicky that SMF is practically invisible to search engines. I have tried everything possible to have it index posts/threads and it has only done 1 in 3 weeks. There are no shortage of spiders on my site as on average i have 6-10. Prior to the switch to smf I was having 25-50 new posts/threads indexed daily with vb.... Now nothing of importance.

I have been really reading and checking stats for sites that use Mybb and it seems like this forum software indexs very nicely...fingers crossed...lol

I am going to convert my board from smf > phpbb2 > Mybb

I am also going to install it on some of my professional information sites to see how it goes.

Well heres my suggestion and its probably way to early to make suggestions. This may already have been requested or made but i can't seem to find it.

RSS Injector I used this on my site for sports scores news and other topics. My members loved it. VB has an excellent admin control area for adding these feeds to be injected into your forums...
You can make a new user account and use the name to make the posts.

SMF has a very rough RSS Injector script that I use and I can give you a copy of it to look at if needed.

Lastly I noticed there is a mod for quick register I never used this with VB but tried the smf version.....The SMF version allows you by default to still require email activation which is required on my forum to reduce spam.

Quick register may not be a standard integration you've considered but it truly works well. My new registrations were higher over the 3 weeks of SMF than at any point in 3 years on any of boards using vb.

Again thanks to all I will be around often looking for advice and trying to help.

DP24
You mean something like "RSS2Post"? DennisTT made that plugin!
http://dennistt.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=104
Well, heres a RSS to Post plugin Smile http://www.dennistt.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=104

(edit: damn you FirefoxWiz!! Toungue)
ty very much I will search better next time....
this is my first post too! i can't wait to get more involved in this community!

this place looks like a good place where i can really get a lot of help and give it, thanks guys! Smile