MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hiding website IP from email headers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know how to do this? I've done some searching and cannot find any extensive guides that explain it in detail.

Thanks.
I think website IPs are public anyway. I tested your site diversebox.net from here http://www.site24x7.com/find-ip-address-...-site.html and got 108.162.193.67

Is that right?
There is no way to hide your website IP. As soon as someone visits your website he is connected to your website IP. Your registrar set up a DNS server so your website URL is linked with your website IP. Eventually, in some cases depending on your host you don't even need an alphabetic URL, an IP is sufficient the .

So nope, you cannot fully hide your website IP. Though I have no idea if its possible on mail headers.
(2013-06-12, 12:51 PM)Geret Wrote: [ -> ]I think website IPs are public anyway. I tested your site diversebox.net from here http://www.site24x7.com/find-ip-address-...-site.html and got 108.162.193.67

Is that right?

Nope, that is Cloudflare's IP successfully hiding mine. The only thing I've been told that's vulnerable right now is emails sending the site's true IP.
You have a false understanding of security and IP addresses. CloudFlare is not a service to hide your server IP address. It's called a public IP address for a reason. There is no vulnerability with exposing your server IP address. Anyone can get your server IP address if they want to -- you can't prevent that.
(2013-06-12, 10:45 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]You have a false understanding of security and IP addresses. CloudFlare is not a service to hide your server IP address. It's called a public IP address for a reason. There is no vulnerability with exposing your server IP address. Anyone can get your server IP address if they want to -- you can't prevent that.
I'm facing the same problem as OP. While I completely agree with you; CloudFlare is no service to hide the IP, but it can be used for that! As Labrocca explained in a previous post I came across, CloudFlare DDoS protection is completely useless if your server IP is public, or easy to find. I'm already using a remote SMTP server (Tried Mandrill and Hotmail) but my original server IP appears in headers. I imagine that is configured in hotmails and Mandrills mail setup (Probably for abuse complaints). Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, apart from mail there are a number of ways. One of the one that is getting more popular is using the "Remote avatar" function.