MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how to switch Domain and Host?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

im currently using a 000webhost.com hosting and domain since its free. The purpose for this, is to create my forum and have it finish so i can then begin using it and actually start paying for service.

Now im close to finishing my forum and want to get and idea how this will work if i want to move it to a better host and change domain.

I figured that changing host would simply be moving all my FTP folders from 000webhost account into whatever other account i join.

Is that how it will be? Also i know that to move domain from host is simpply updating the nameserver but i dont know how to change a website domain name? my domain is all funny with the extra .net43.com feature and i want to switch it to a smply .com. How will i go about doing so?

i hope you understand and thank you for your time Big Grin

thank You
To make it simple, but hosting from a company who offers webhosting AND domain hosting. You can get a package deal which should make it cheaper.

Make sure your host provides everything you need for your site and forums such as the database. And then make sure you update your database information.

Though I have never done this before, and I am actually on the same path as you (using a free host to set up my forum and then switch to paid hosting), I would think that you're going to install a new MyBB forum and then just restore from a backup file from your free hosting site.
(2013-06-19, 02:17 AM)Triexe Wrote: [ -> ]To make it simple, but hosting from a company who offers webhosting AND domain hosting. You can get a package deal which should make it cheaper.

Make sure your host provides everything you need for your site and forums such as the database. And then make sure you update your database information.

Though I have never done this before, and I am actually on the same path as you (using a free host to set up my forum and then switch to paid hosting), I would think that you're going to install a new MyBB forum and then just restore from a backup file from your free hosting site.

yeah i have a hosting service in mind. I choose http://spetsnazhost.com/ since im located in California and they're in Las Vegas Nevada if im correct. Now i use to have them and they were a great service and a great support team. But i was curious as to switching. I just checked that changing domain you simply go into your ACP and change the directory of your URL also updating the nameserers. As for the forum itself its a simply switch over but last time i check they do it for you.