MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB isn't working!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I use this stupid thing?? I can't even see anything when I put my html files in the folder. I downloaded the friggin mybb zipped file and extracted it. How do I use my php files in MyBB? I can't figure out how to send data to MyBB and what to send it as??
I went to the stupid install page but I can't even understand any of that 777 chmod BS. Where do I type that into and what is shell access, CGI, and GUI for MyBB?
It's telling me to use SmartFTP and FileZilla. Why do I have to download more programs to use this stupid thing?!?!?!?!?!?! WHERE DO I UPLOAD THE FILES TO AND WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!!!!!!
Quote:It's telling me to use SmartFTP and FileZilla. Why do I have to download more programs to use this stupid thing?!?!?!?!?!?!

You need to use either SmartFTP, FileZilla or another FTP client. Your choice. You need to upload the files from your computer to the webserver, and that's what an FTP client does. It uploads files via the FTP protocol.

You said you were able to access the installer - In that case you've uploaded the files.

chmod is a Linux command which lets you set permissions for the the files. If you don't understand how to chmod files, see [Docs: CHMOD_Files]. If you don't know what shell access or CGI is, that's not a problem. It doesn't seem like you're a system administrator. As for GUI, it just means the web interface.

Also, please make sure you don't do something immature such as this again as I do not like wasting my time.
(2013-06-19, 11:39 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:It's telling me to use SmartFTP and FileZilla. Why do I have to download more programs to use this stupid thing?!?!?!?!?!?!

You need to use either SmartFTP, FileZilla or another FTP client. Your choice. You need to upload the files from your computer to the webserver, and that's what an FTP client does. It uploads files via the FTP protocol.

You said you were able to access the installer - In that case you've uploaded the files.

chmod is a Linux command which lets you set permissions for the the files. If you don't understand how to chmod files, see [Docs: CHMOD_Files]. If you don't know what shell access or CGI is, that's not a problem. It doesn't seem like you're a system administrator. As for GUI, it just means the web interface.

Also, please make sure you don't do something immature such as this again as I do not like wasting my time.

Wait, I have already uploaded the files to a web server? What site do I go to to see my site then? I didn't know that would happen. But how do I use the php files I have with MyBB?? Do I have to pay for the site that was uploaded?
When you say "I went to the stupid install page but I can't even understand any of that 777 chmod BS." do you mean the MyBB installer or the document explaining how to install MyBB? Judging by your post I'll assume the latter.

You need a web host to use MyBB, either free or paid. We provide the software for free but you need a web host and a domain to create a forum.
(2013-06-20, 12:01 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]When you say "I went to the stupid install page but I can't even understand any of that 777 chmod BS." do you mean the MyBB installer or the document explaining how to install MyBB? Judging by your post I'll assume the latter.

You need a web host to use MyBB, either free or paid. We provide the software for free but you need a web host and a domain to create a forum.

I went to the document page: docs.mybb.com/Installer.html
This is all confusing me. So, what do I do to see my site and how do I use my php files with mybb?
You need a web host. They will supply everything you need to serve your forum and run the PHP files.

https://www.google.com/search?q=web+hosting
Refer to this after getting a hosting account and a domain :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxaiN_ro0M